All USB ports lost, HELP

Old November 29th 08, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GWL

Default All USB ports lost, HELP

I posted this request in the only thread I could find on this problem, but
nobody reponed, So I am trying here in a new request. Thursday afternoon, my
computer suddenly issued a series of USB port unplugging sounds.
Investigation has revealed that none of the USB ports on my machine are
functioning. No USB printer, keyboard or mouse (without PS/2). There were
five windows displayed with the following message: "One of the USB devices
attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize
it." Occasionally when I try to plug in a device, while no plugging sound is
issued, the malfunction message will be displayed.
I have gone to the earliest restore point and that did not work. I have
un-installed all USB drivers in Device Manager and after Windows re-installed
them the Devices still do not work. Windows only returns the malfunction
message when
plugged in. Help, I have no clue as to what happened here.

Old December 2nd 08, 10:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Lee Stone

"GWL" wrote in message
[...]

Hello

I only just found your note. I tried all the above and more.

Eventually, after a few abortive boots, all my USB devices just sprang back
into life. All are now working well, including my fingerprint reader
(internal USB connection). The most recent Windows Updates are all listed as
present, too. Very odd.

I hope yours is now working also?

Old December 2nd 08, 03:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GWL

I answered this in your other thread, but I thought that I would comment here
also in case someone else has a similar problem. I fought this all weekend.
Yesterday I gave up and completely disconnected the computer from everything,
then unplugged it getting ready to take it to a shop. Shop found nothing
wrong. So I am left to assume that either the complete unplugging of the
machine did something or
the vibration of moving the machine did something that restarted the USB
ports. I am leaning in the direction of the power off and unplugging as the
fix as I ran into another user who's IT men could not fix her company
computer that had suddenly lost all USB ports last Friday. She left it
unplugged over the weekend and it worked fine on Monday morning.