system not turning on..

Old November 30th 08, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
astrofighter

Default system not turning on..

Ive already posted this on another part pf the site, but after reading
through some other threads, not quite sure if ive put it in the right
place. i put it in a drivers category?

Hi all, sorry im new here, and just very stressed..

My other half has gone to work and took my laptop to work, leaving me
with his.. Its an Acer aspire 5920.. He has very little understanding of
computers, and as he rushed out of the door, held the power button to
turn it of.. Now its sat on my desk feeling very poorly..

When i turn it on its a black screen saying:
"windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be
the cause."
It gives me 2 options.
1. launch startup repair,
2. start windows normally..

When i click to start startup repair it loads the green vista loading
bar, and background which all looks very promising! WRONG!! It then says
'system recovery options' select a keyboard layout. I set it to 'united
kingdom extended', then click next.. It says to select an operating
system to repair, and click next. only windows vista operating systems
are listed and can be repaired. (Nothing is listed). Below it says "if
you do not see your operating system listed, click load drivers to load
drivers for your hard disks"

Ive tried this on near enough every single file i can find, and none of
them work.. It re-starts and takes me back to square one..

If i dont load drivers, and click 'next' it takes me to a screen where
i can (or should be able) to chose from:

startup repair (takes me back a step)
system repair - that says there are no restore points,
windows complete pc restore- which doesnt open
windows memory diagnostic tool- which takes me right back to the
beginning
command prompt.

------------------------------------
Clicking starting windows normally:

A brief blue streen, saying i have an error, which gives me no time to
read, then restarts p.c and takes me back to scratch..
-------------------------------------
Pressing F8 on startup gives me loads of options, none of which work..
Including trying to start up safe mode..
-------------

To make things worse, its not my laptop, and i want to try and avoid
formatting the hard drive, not only because i don not wish to lose
everything, but because recovery disks were never made..

PLEEEEEEEEASE help. ill make a donation.

--
astrofighter

Old November 30th 08, 04:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
astrofighter

Hi peter, no i dont have any vista discs. No discs came with the laptop,
its only 10 months old. Ibe been looking through the site, and there
have been so many threads made with this same problem, most of them
unanswered, and appearing as though they never foubnd a solution. im so
mad with it, its so gutting, im have way through an NVQ and got most of
it saved on it. I had norton 360 on it, and it partitioned the hard
drive and i think it backed most of my work on it, but it wont even let
me format the effing thing, and if i did manage to, how would i put the
OS back on it? Im not very clever when it comes to computing.. nursing
is more my speciality. its 4.50 am here, and ive been sat with it since
9pm last night. so angry, and so tired GRRRRRRRRRRR

--
astrofighter
Old November 30th 08, 02:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

astrofighter wrote:

Hi peter, no i dont have any vista discs. No discs came with the laptop,
its only 10 months old. Ibe been looking through the site, and there
have been so many threads made with this same problem, most of them
unanswered, and appearing as though they never foubnd a solution. im so
mad with it, its so gutting, im have way through an NVQ and got most of
it saved on it. I had norton 360 on it, and it partitioned the hard
drive and i think it backed most of my work on it, but it wont even let
me format the effing thing, and if i did manage to, how would i put the
OS back on it? Im not very clever when it comes to computing.. nursing
is more my speciality. its 4.50 am here, and ive been sat with it since
9pm last night. so angry, and so tired GRRRRRRRRRRR

You won't like my answer but I need to be truthful with you: Leave it alone.
Unless your husband is very computer-savvy, the machine needs to be taken
to a professional computer repair shop to untangle what has really
happened. Only someone who can actually see the machine and work with it
hands-on is going to be able to do this. We don't know what shape the
machine was in before your husband forced a shutdown, but it sounds as if
things got scrambled then and whatever you did has made things much worse.
People only reading about the issues - which you can't really describe
because you don't really know what you're looking at - are not going to be
able to help effectively. I am *not* saying this to hurt your feelings; I'm
just being practical.

So either wait for your husband to come home and/or take the machine to a
qualified computer repair shop. I don't recommend using a
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!