Any solutions To Dvd writers not being recognized

Old January 4th 07, 12:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pfarn

Default IDE Cable

Make sure you are using an 80 pin cable. XP doesn't seem to care, but Vista might. I had a similar problem with a Sony DVD drive with an Nvidia chipset on the motherboard. It wouldn't recognize it at all, and it complained about my CD writer, although it reads from it alright.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old February 8th 07, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bp

Default Any solutions To Dvd writers not being recognized

well what was the "tweak"?

"Kevin Spencer" wrote:

Your post saved my life, or at least a day of it, Rick. I have been having
some of the same issues, and after reading your post I looked at my BIOS
setup, specifically, IDE. I tweaked it, and the OS picked up the DVD RW
capabilities of my Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P6S drive. No other tweaking
necessary.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Bit Player
http://unclechutney.blogspot.com

Where there's a Will, there's a William.

"Rick Rogers" wrote in message
Hi,

Just a thought, but with 4 different drives not working, I would suspect
not the drives but the IDE controller or motherboard having a
compatibility problem with Vista.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bcs4" wrote in message
As I have previously read and posted there seems to be numerous problems
many dvdwriters not being recognized or appearing in device manager as
non
functioning. I have 4 different dvdwriters that I have installed on a
vista
based pc and none of them work i have updated all firmware and been told
by
the manufactures that they should work. But alas all of them get code 39
errors when installed . As we get closer to release date I keep looking
for
solutions but none seem to appear only more identical problems as I have
encountered anyone know if Microsoft is working on a solution for this
problem? Luckily I have another box running xp pro so i am still able to
burn
but as to installing anything new on the vista pc i am at a standstill
without functioning cd-roms. Please any response would be greatly
appreciated
Stuck in limbo

Old March 4th 07, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
rrayw747

My Pioneer dvd writer and NEC cd drive worked with no problem with ultimate,
and then I installed pemiere, they worked for about a week and suddenly
disappeared.
I guess I'll reinstall Vista....drives are fine on other HD with XP

Old April 15th 07, 09:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
michael003

Bcs4

As I have previously read and posted there seems to be numerous problems to

Old August 18th 07, 02:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bjadams

I have been researching the same problem. I have two drives that Vista is
not recognizing as burners. I cannot burn in Media Player or Media Center but
Imgburn recognizes my DVD burner for what it is and I have used it
successfully. In the device manager both drives are listed as SCSI CD ROM
devices. I saw a post on the net where someone solved this by replacing the
installed driver with a Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller driver.
Problem is he did not explain how he did this. Can anyone help with how to
find and install a standard PCI IDE driver in my Vista machine to replace the
SCSI driver that is there now?

Old October 18th 07, 02:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ryan T[_2_]

I had the same problem with my dvd burner. it was also listed as a scsi cd
rom, but i am 99.99% sure that it is an IDE device (or maybe ATAPI, I don't
really understand all the device interfaces). I installed the manual upgrade
kb930194, restarted and now it works. The upgrade says it was for "optical
drive utilizing a SiI Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment (PATA) chip
from Silicon Image". I am not sure if that is what i had but i installed it
anyway and it works now.