Vista Banter

-   -   Any solutions To Dvd writers not being recognized (http://www.vistabanter.com/14798-any-solutions-dvd-writers-not-being-recognized.html)

Bcs4 December 30th 06 02:17 PM

Any solutions To Dvd writers not being recognized

As I have previously read and posted there seems to be numerous problems to
many dvdwriters not being recognized or appearing in device manager as non
functioning. I have 4 different dvdwriters that I have installed on a vista
based pc and none of them work i have updated all firmware and been told by
the manufactures that they should work. But alas all of them get code 39
errors when installed . As we get closer to release date I keep looking for
solutions but none seem to appear only more identical problems as I have
encountered anyone know if Microsoft is working on a solution for this
problem? Luckily I have another box running xp pro so i am still able to burn
but as to installing anything new on the vista pc i am at a standstill
without functioning cd-roms. Please any response would be greatly appreciated
Stuck in limbo

Rick Rogers December 30th 06 02:27 PM

Any solutions To Dvd writers not being recognized

Hi,

Just a thought, but with 4 different drives not working, I would suspect not
the drives but the IDE controller or motherboard having a compatibility
problem with Vista.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Bcs4 December 30th 06 02:44 PM

Any solutions To Dvd writers not being recognized

That would seem possible except for the fact that i installed vista on the
other xp pro box and had the same problem before uninstalling it and
returning to XP

Rick Rogers December 30th 06 03:16 PM

Any solutions To Dvd writers not being recognized

Hi,

Well, at this juncture all I can tell you is that I and many others have
used Vista (from early alpha bits, through the beta and RC builds, and the
RTM) with quite a variety of DVD drives, from generic cheapies to expensive
units without issue. While I have seen the upper/lower filters issue still
occur, it does not seem to be related to the drive but rather a glitch in
the OS. However, I don't believe that to be the underlying cause of the
issue you are encountering. If multiple different branded drives aren't
working under it, then logic dictates that the cause is something common to
all of them. As many others have used Vista without issues with DVD drives
of a variety of makes, that leaves the motherboard or controllers as being
the possible cause. There have been some minor issues with Nvidia chipsets,
perhaps this may be the problem. Is the board of recent build? Have you
checked with the manufacturer for an updated BIOS?

hp December 30th 06 03:51 PM

Any solutions To Dvd writers not being recognized

Hi,

are you able to boot using the installation DVD? This would tell you
that the IDE controller works fine and the DVD is so far OK.

As soon the Vista IDE driver is loaded then in my case it always asked
for a different CD-ROM driver. This means that something breaks here!
My solution for this was just to use a different DVD HW brand...

I have this mal function since beta1/2 and reported this to MS without
any results. Other reported same behavior just search in the driver &
installation vista news group.

For my opinion, I do not understand such ignorance while same HW using
XP SP2 works as expected and always did as expected

Rick Rogers December 30th 06 04:48 PM

Any solutions To Dvd writers not being recognized

Certainly possible, 'tis why I mentioned the IDE controller in the initial
response. I wasn't just referring to the instruction set on the motherboard,
but rather the hardware as well.

Robert Pendell December 30th 06 05:21 PM

Bcs4 wrote:
As I have previously read and posted there seems to be numerous problems to
many dvdwriters not being recognized or appearing in device manager as non
functioning. I have 4 different dvdwriters that I have installed on a vista
based pc and none of them work i have updated all firmware and been told by
the manufactures that they should work. But alas all of them get code 39
errors when installed . As we get closer to release date I keep looking for
solutions but none seem to appear only more identical problems as I have
encountered anyone know if Microsoft is working on a solution for this
problem? Luckily I have another box running xp pro so i am still able to burn
but as to installing anything new on the vista pc i am at a standstill
without functioning cd-roms. Please any response would be greatly appreciated
Stuck in limbo

This sounds odd. I would be pointing my finger at any of the following.

a) Cabling issue (possible bad cable -- try using a known good)
b) Possible compatibility and/or bad ide driver issue (try using another
motherboard with a different ide chipset)
c) Possible compatibility issue with vista drivers.
d) Possible compatibility issue with the dvd drive. Is a Region Code
set on the drive?

Note that c is a long shot. It is highly unlikely. I have 4 optical
drives in my computer. Each one is a different type but they all work
as expected. I have one of each of the following; cd-rw, cd-rw/dvd-rom,
dvd-rom, and cd-rw/dvd-rw. The last 3 are dvd drives and are picked up
correctly. The exact models are below and are listed in order that they
were above.

LiteOn SOHC-5236V (RPC2 unmodified -- recent and may still be produced)
Toshiba SD-M1612 (flashed RPC1 modified -- really old and discontinued)
NEC ND-2510A (flashed RPC1 modified -- recent but discontinued)

I need the one to be RPC2 because otherwise it won't let me play region
coded discs. The Toshiba drive has lasted way beyond expected lifespans
for optical drives. Going on 7 or 8 years I think.

Robert Moir December 30th 06 07:29 PM

Rick Rogers wrote:
Certainly possible, 'tis why I mentioned the IDE controller in the
initial response. I wasn't just referring to the instruction set on
the motherboard, but rather the hardware as well.

I'd vote some kind of hardware issue too. As much as I enjoy beating up on
Vista for it's problems and lacks (well as I see it anyway!), I can't say
I've seen anything like this problem.

A driver issue is quite possible; many recent intel chipsets need an
additional '3rd party' IDE controller for optical drives because the Intel
controllers only work with SATA. We know that the quality and availability
of drivers varies a great deal just before the launch of a new OS.

rob

Kevin Spencer January 2nd 07 11:09 AM

Any solutions To Dvd writers not being recognized

Your post saved my life, or at least a day of it, Rick. I have been having
some of the same issues, and after reading your post I looked at my BIOS
setup, specifically, IDE. I tweaked it, and the OS picked up the DVD RW
capabilities of my Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P6S drive. No other tweaking
necessary.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Bit Player
http://unclechutney.blogspot.com

Where there's a Will, there's a William.