515 MB of missing ram

Old December 3rd 08, 03:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MasterAlex

Default 515 MB of missing ram

I've got 8GB of RAM, 8192 MB, and my system properties shows it at
8.00GB of RAM, which is good, but when I look at task manager and my
physical memory is only 7677 MB, so I've lost 515 MB of memory
somewhere.

I've got vista x64 with two 8800 GTS' with 512MB GDDR3 ram each.

Thanks

--
MasterAlex
Old December 3rd 08, 03:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Brink

MasterAlex;900983 Wrote:
I've got 8GB of RAM, 8192 MB, and my system properties shows it at
8.00GB of RAM, which is good, but when I look at task manager and my
physical memory is only 7677 MB, so I've lost 515 MB of memory
somewhere.

I've got vista x64 with two 8800 GTS' with 512MB GDDR3 ram each.

Thanks

Hello Alex,

If your motherboard came with a integrated video chip, then you might
check the BIOS settings to see if you may have the missing 512 to 515 MB
of RAM set to be dedicated to it. If so, just free up that memory.

If not, then you might check to see if there is a newer BIOS version
for you motherboard available that may address this problem.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old December 3rd 08, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MasterAlex

No onboard vid. I'll try a bios update if I can't find anything else.

--
MasterAlex
Old December 3rd 08, 05:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TonyT[_2_]

MasterAlex wrote:

I've got 8GB of RAM, 8192 MB, and my system properties shows it at
8.00GB of RAM, which is good, but when I look at task manager and my
physical memory is only 7677 MB, so I've lost 515 MB of memory
somewhere.

I've got vista x64 with two 8800 GTS' with 512MB GDDR3 ram each.

Some of your available RAM will always be set aside for special system
needs, so what you are seeing is not abnormal.
Old December 3rd 08, 08:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message
MasterAlex was claimed to have wrote:

No onboard vid. I'll try a bios update if I can't find anything else.

Also take a look in the BIOS for something about address space
remapping, most motherboards need a chunk of address space for their own
needs and some will pull it from the 3.2GB-4GB range even when an x64 OS
is being used unless the appropriate option is enabled.

Unfortunately the option has a number of different names on different
BIOS versions even in the same manufacturer, so it's not as simple as
giving you exact directions.

One way to test if this is your problem is to remove all but 2GB of
memory, if Windows sees all 2GB then it's likely an address space
conflicting with actual RAM.

If your ~515MB of RAM is still missing then you have other issues and
you can ignore this suggestion entirely.
Old December 4th 08, 03:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter Foldes[_2_]

What you are seeing is normal. The system sets the lost Ram aside so that when it is
needed it is there

--
Peter

Old December 4th 08, 03:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom Lake[_2_]

"Peter Foldes" wrote in message
What you are seeing is normal. The system sets the lost Ram aside so that when it
is needed it is there

No it doesn't. If the max the motherboard can handle is 8 GB and you have 8 GB
installed, then some of the address space is used by motherboard hardware such as
PCI slots. The RAM cannot be used.

Tom Lake