Vista cannot find any wireless networks - hardware failure?

Old December 9th 08, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul[_24_]

Default Vista cannot find any wireless networks - hardware failure?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. My client has a notebook with an intel
3945abg wifi card. This card cannot find any networks. Vista Business SP1 is
fully updated and the latest drivers are installed. Device Manager shows
everything enabled and working. Hardware switch is ON. I have reset
WINSOCKS.

If I uninstall the card and reboot, the card is reinstalled and works fine
until the next reboot - after which it will not find any networks until it
is uninstalled and rebooted.

Is there something I have missed? Any suggestions? I am thinking new wifi
card. All help or suggestions gratefully received.

Paul

Old December 9th 08, 07:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

Do you or your client know what wireless networks are within range and which
are broadcasting their names?
Or does he know exactly which wireless network he wants to access? If yes
is it set to be used as the default even when not broadcasting?
I have found that the Vista SP2 Beta is much improved in its handling of
wireless networks.

Old December 9th 08, 08:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul[_24_]

Thanks for your reply.

There are 20+ broadcasting networks within range. My clients network is
broadcasting and is visible to other vista pc's which can connect no
problem. Yes his wifi is set to connect even when his router is not
broadcasting.

As I said uninstalling the wifi card and rebooting causes all the networks
to appear as if by magic. He can then connect ok. It is the disappearing act
(ie no networks to be found) on the next reboot and all susbsequent reboots
that has me totally stumped. I have never seen this on any other system and
can find nothing relevant on the net. Thats why I suspect hardware problems.
If everything else is right...or is that faulty logic

You suggest sp2 beta which may be worth a try. In my experience, SP1 sorted
out all the wi-fi flakiness in vista.Until today SP1 or drivers or winsocks
cured all my clients wifi issues.

thanks for any other suggestions.

Old December 11th 08, 09:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John

Somewhere I think you can find a way to specify the desired wireless
connection as a "preferred" connection. Possibly that will help your
computer filter out all the other wireless networks during boot.
Unfortunately Vista's network configuration is so confusing I can't remember
where to find the "preferred" setting.

Old December 11th 08, 09:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

Control Panel/Network and Sharing/Manage Wireless Networks/ Select your
preferred network and select properties.