Security problem with my Vista Home op!

Old December 10th 08, 03:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
James[_10_]

Default Security problem with my Vista Home op!

Hello,

Can someone please help me out? I am not getting the Vista Welcome Screen
on my Notebook PC when waking up from sleep mode or from screen saver. When
I start my notebook computer or do a re-start I always get the welcome
screen needing my password to sign in. This is what I want to make my
notebook secure. I also want to get the welcome screen when my Notebook
wakes up from sleep mode and screen saver. For some reason, I can't figure
out, my Notebook wakes right to my Desktop.

I have Vista Home Premium with sp1 and fully updated. I don't know when the
computer stopped going to the welcome screen because I did not have a
password setup on it for a long time. I never took my Notebook out of my
home and only my wife and I were living in the house. I have since inherited
some house guest so I would like to get this little security problem fixed.

In the Screen Saver Settings Window I do have the box checked that says;
"On resume, display logon screen". I also have the box checked for; "Require
a password" in Define power buttons and turn on password protection under
System Settings. I looked for a fix on the internet, but have not found
anything. I am hoping someone here can help me. If anyone has any ideas that
I can try, I sure would appreciate you taking the time to reply my question.
Thank you!

Happy Holidays,
James

Old December 10th 08, 06:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters[_2_]

You could try a blank screen saver and adjust the settings for
timing as suggested in this URL.

I don't know if it will fix your problem, but it does explain what
the different sleep(ish) modes are for.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc462803.aspx

Old December 10th 08, 06:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
James[_10_]

Hello Mr. Rafter,

Thank you for the web address. I will check it out and let you know if it
helps. Thanks again!

Happy Holidays,
James

Old December 10th 08, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
James[_10_]

Hello,

As you said; it did not help me with my problem, but it was interesting
reading. It also leads me to believe my notebook is setup right and that
there has to be another problem with it. What that problem is I need to
know.

Thanks again,

Old December 11th 08, 03:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
James[_10_]

Hello,

I guess everyone is out Christmas shopping. I did not get much help with
this problem, but I did figure it out on my own. I remembered that when I
got this computer about a year ago I down loaded one of those Tweak programs
to try out. I found after downloading it that you had to purchase a licenses
to get all the features. I did mess around with it a little bit back then.
So I figured I should bring it up and go through it again. After flipping
through the tweaks all day I did find a box that was checked. By checking
the box it forced Vista to ignore the security page. I unchecked the box and
now the Welcome Screen comes up on wakeup and from screen saver mode. I
guess that is what I get for messing around with a program and then
forgetting about it.

Thank you to those who tried to help and anyone that read my question, but
did not have any suggestions. I really appreciate you taking the time to try
to help me.

I hope everyone and their families have a very Safe and Happy Holidays!

Thanks again,
James