Installedcodec a malware?

Old December 12th 08, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Michael Walraven[_3_]

Default Installedcodec a malware?

McAfee has reported that a program I have had installed for some time is
malware. Specifically the program Installedcodec.exe from nirsoft is a
Trojan "New Malware.jj"

I haven't used it in some time but seemed to be OK when I did so. Anyone
know if this is a false positive by McAfee?

(I have already Googled for answer, no data but perhaps this is new).

Michael

Old December 12th 08, 10:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
MowGreen [MVP]

Michael,

Are you referring to this ? -
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html

If yes, then it's an FP. You can then submit the file to McAfee and
inform them of the FP or just ignore McAfee's detection of it by putting
it on the Ignored or White List. [McCrapfee not installed here; check
the User Guide to learn how to report FPs and/or how to exclude it from
detection]

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Old December 12th 08, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Josh White

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 17:51:21 -0500, "Michael Walraven"
wrote:

McAfee has reported that a program I have had installed for some time is
malware. Specifically the program Installedcodec.exe from nirsoft is a
Trojan "New Malware.jj"

I haven't used it in some time but seemed to be OK when I did so. Anyone
know if this is a false positive by McAfee?

(I have already Googled for answer, no data but perhaps this is new).

Michael

There is plenty of material.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Insta...L_enUS284US284

Quoting from only one:

"The filename INSTALLEDCODEC.EXE is used by objects that are
classified as safe. It has not yet been seen to be associated with
malicious software."

PJ White
Old December 12th 08, 10:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Michael Walraven[_3_]

Yes there is a lot of stuff on Installedcodec, but none of it is associated
with "new Malware.jj" as reported by McAfee, which is why I was considering
that it was a false alarm.

Thanks for pointers.

Michael

Old December 13th 08, 12:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Josh White

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:31:49 -0500, "Michael Walraven"
wrote:

Yes there is a lot of stuff on Installedcodec, but none of it is associated
with "new Malware.jj" as reported by McAfee, which is why I was considering
that it was a false alarm.

Thanks for pointers.

When McAfee comes up for renewal, DON'T. There are too many better
choices, some even free.

Michael

.. .

Old December 13th 08, 01:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Michael Walraven[_3_]

My McAfee comes free with Verizon FIOS / MSN premium service. Worth every
penny!
I have tried AVG free which seemed to also work nicely.

Michael

wrote:

Yes there is a lot of stuff on Installedcodec, but none of it is
associated
with "new Malware.jj" as reported by McAfee, which is why I was
considering
that it was a false alarm.

Thanks for pointers.

When McAfee comes up for renewal, DON'T. There are too many better
choices, some even free.

Michael

. ..

Old December 13th 08, 01:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Josh White

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:09:27 -0500, "Michael Walraven"
wrote:

My McAfee comes free with Verizon FIOS / MSN premium service. Worth every
penny!
I have tried AVG free which seemed to also work nicely.

I used to use McAfee when it was practically the ONLY antivirus
program available. Stopped when they started charging for it.

Since McAfee comes free with Comcast, I recently tried it. Hated it
for all the usual reasons... bloat, false positives. I got several
false positives on a scan that I know should NOT have found anything
(no A/V or malware software EVER does) and it did.

Quickly uninstalled it.

Same with AVG free when it went to 8.0: false positives.

I am now using Avira Premium. I am surprised I paid for it, but I
just LIKE it. I've never had a virus in 18 years online, but I paid
for an A/V program.

Go figger.

PJ White

Michael