Best Video card at this point of Vista developement

Old January 29th 07, 06:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mark

Default Best Video card at this point of Vista developement

Ahhh, heck! This new HP MedCen Pav w/XPproSP2 that my sis gave me as an XMas
gift was a step up from the IBM Aptiva W98SE which I enjoyed. After a month
of exploring XP and MedCen I thought 'can life get better?' . Right. Now I am
not only upgrading to Vista Premium, but my new (old?) nVidia 6150 is trash
for the new 19" LCD-W/S? Rats! How much for one of these 8800 jobs?
Thanks tons for your assistance.

"Russ" wrote:

Unless you have pockets for Nvidia G8xxx series with Direct-X 10,

Recomendations are Nvidia 76xx and up. ATI 18xx and up.
Higher end of mid-line DirectX 9c cards.
256M video ram

On the machines we have trialed so far, graphics is the number one
bottleneck. All current machines, aftermarket video cards (ie not onboard).

Old January 30th 07, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Stephan

LOL

don't worry about nVidia 8800 Mark. they cost from $350 to $900 and unless
you are a gamer you don't really need those. go for an ATI Radeon x series
with a minimum of 256 MB vram on board (under $100) and you'll be fine (for
aero and dvd's).

Old February 2nd 07, 04:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
-D

I have the GeForce 5200, however i can not get the video card software to
install. I did get a driver from their site that works but as far as getting
aero to work i am at a loss. I welcome any help. thanks!

"dev" wrote:

/joymac/ said:

I am presently running vista ultimate on a amd Athlon 64 x2 with aNvidia
Geforce 7300 gs microsoft drivers as I had some troubles with Nvidia driver
installing and am going to wait till driver is out of beta before trying
again. Performance index is only 3.2 on business and gaming graphics same
machine using RC2 and Nvidia driver result was 3.4. I have the task of
upgrading serveral machines to Vista shortly and am tring to get a idea of
the best cards to use on slighly less powerful machines but must have dual
monitor support vga/dvi vga/vga or dvi/dvi. Not looking for company loyalty

With PCI-E video adapters overtaking AGP, it makes sense to spend the
minimum necessary on outdated technology.

I can only say that here an MSI NVidia 5200 128Mb card does just fine -
using a 22" widescreen LCD fed via VGA. Aero is fully functional, and
video seems as peppy with Vista Ultimate RC2 as it did under XP for
typical word processing, accounting and Net surfing. No games tested.

Old February 2nd 07, 06:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jamesfive5

I have a GeForce 5500 and I got the old drivers to install but still no aero!
I am
just going to get a new video card! I think that both our cards will not
run right
with Vista.

Old February 3rd 07, 02:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
markus

"dev" wrote:

/joymac/ said:

[...]

For Nvidia, they only support Geforce 6x and up and Quadro for vista.
Here is a link for x86
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...supported.html

I am sure x64 is the same. I upgraded an old machine to a 6200 agp card for
less than $50 and it works fine.
Old February 4th 07, 01:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
lancea

My Albatron FX5200 (128MB) is working fine using the default driver. All
features appear to be enabled, including Aero and flip-3D. Scrolling in
flip-3D is a bit sluggish, but it's quite usable. I downloaded the latest
beta from nVidia and was disappointed when the installer told me my card
wasn't "yet" supported. The only reason I need it is so I can put one of my
two monitors back into portrait mode. Using the Tablet applet to switch to
portrait mode was a temporary disaster - both screens went blank (except for
the screen displayed by Alt+Ctrl+Del - which was at least in portrait mode!).
My solution was to uninstall the driver in Safe Mode, then reinstall. I tried
several times with the same effect. The default driver also doesn't let me
use different resolutions for each monitor. Otherwise, I'm happy with my
FX5200. Vista gives my graphics a score of 2.0.

To answer the original posting, from the nVidia side - given that a cheap
FX5200 works adequately for non-gaming use - I think anything in the 6000 and
above series of boards will do very nicely.

Old February 4th 07, 10:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mellifluous

Have you actually downloaded the drivers for Vista from Nvidia?

If you need an AGP card, then the best AGP card you can get really is the
Nvidia 7800GS, I don't think they've released any more powerful AGP cards
than that. That's the card I run and it's excellent. You might be able to get
it relatively cheap if you search.

"joymac" wrote:

I am presently running vista ultimate on a amd Athlon 64 x2 with aNvidia
Geforce 7300 gs microsoft drivers as I had some troubles with Nvidia driver
installing and am going to wait till driver is out of bata before trying
again. Performance index is only 3.2 on business and gaming graphics same
machine using RC2 and Nvidia driver result was 3.4. I have the task of
upgrading serveral machines to Vista shortly and am tring to get a idea of
the best cards to use on slighly less powerful machines but must have dual
monitor support vga/dvi vga/vga or dvi/dvi. Not lookng for company loyalty
responces. Thanks
--
Trying to make sense of it all

Old February 8th 07, 08:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rockland2

Hey, Ive built six or seven PC's for friends and family, and every time I've
had to deal with ATI cards I could not get the dual monitors selection to
work! ATI would only let me choose one or the other, TV or monitor. I
recently built this PC that I'm writing with now an ECS RS-482m with built in
ATI graphics with a seperate connecter to the motherboard for TV out, and I
still couldn't get it to work, I did the support thing back and forth to ATI
and AMD with e-mails, and finally just went out and bought an nVidia PCI
express card and viola, dual monitors. The folks at ATI act as if they've
never heard of this before, or am I the only person that hooks his PC up to
the TV so I can watch internet movies on the TV? Hmm. Anyways, thats my
2cents worth.
--
Rockland2 Sherman Oaks, California

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

The brand of the card has more to do with stability than the actual chipset.
I have had very good luck with Gigabyte cards using either ATI or NVidia
chipsets. The ATI seem to have a crisper display. With ATI you can buy ATI
branded cards direct from ATI which have support from the chipset
manufacturer. As far as I know there are no NVidia branded cards.

As far as ATI vs. NVidia, currently the drivers that are built into the RTM
release are the most stable for both. I'd give a slight nod to ATI but some
people have had problems with the sleep function on some motherboards.
Changing to an NVidia card often fixes this. By the time Vista is publicly
available this will probably change. In the past I have have found that
overall ATI drivers (without installing the Catalyst Control Center) are the
most stable but this changes as new drivers are released. I usually install
the drivers that came with the card and never change them unless there are
problems. Note - this is for business use. For gaming it's a whole different
story.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User