Best Video card at this point of Vista developement

Old February 8th 07, 12:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mr Happy

Default Best Video card at this point of Vista developement

Strange my 6800GT gets a 5.9/5.2 and its a pretty old card. In a Opty 170
nforce4 board...

"joymac" wrote:

I am presently running vista ultimate on a amd Athlon 64 x2 with aNvidia
Geforce 7300 gs microsoft drivers as I had some troubles with Nvidia driver
installing and am going to wait till driver is out of bata before trying
again. Performance index is only 3.2 on business and gaming graphics same
machine using RC2 and Nvidia driver result was 3.4. I have the task of
upgrading serveral machines to Vista shortly and am tring to get a idea of
the best cards to use on slighly less powerful machines but must have dual
monitor support vga/dvi vga/vga or dvi/dvi. Not lookng for company loyalty
responces. Thanks
--
Trying to make sense of it all

Old February 9th 07, 03:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ron Miller

Rockland2 wrote:
Hey, Ive built six or seven PC's for friends and family, and every time I've
had to deal with ATI cards I could not get the dual monitors selection to
work! ATI would only let me choose one or the other, TV or monitor. I
recently built this PC that I'm writing with now an ECS RS-482m with built in
ATI graphics with a seperate connecter to the motherboard for TV out, and I
still couldn't get it to work, I did the support thing back and forth to ATI
and AMD with e-mails, and finally just went out and bought an nVidia PCI
express card and viola, dual monitors. The folks at ATI act as if they've
never heard of this before, or am I the only person that hooks his PC up to
the TV so I can watch internet movies on the TV? Hmm. Anyways, thats my
2cents worth.

I have only one Vista computer, but there is certainly NO TROUBLE with
the dual display on my Radeon X1950 Pro -- none. I've never hooked a TV
to a computer.

Ron
Old February 9th 07, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
anto

Well after I installed Windows Vista I had a Graphics rating of 1.9 and a
Gaming Graphics rating of 1 using a Nvidia Gforce MX4000, today I purchased a
Nvidia Geforce 6200 (256mb) and my ratings didnt improve. I tried updating my
score and everything else but the scores don't improve, meaning I cant use
Aero. I have already made sure that everything is set correctily (color,
theme, etc) but it still wont work. Please any help would be greatly
appreciated

Old February 10th 07, 10:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ryan P

I'm running Vista Ultimate on Intel Dual Core 2.8ghz with 2 gigs of 800mhz
RAM, ATI Radeon X600 PCI Express with 256 DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. Graphics
(Desktop performance for Aero) is 4.3. Gaming graphics (business and games)
is 3.7. Card was around 250 almost a year ago, should be way cheaper
nowadays. Card has dual display, DVI and VGA. I have Samsung 40" LCD usin DVI
to HDMI cable and a 22" Viewsonic using VGA to DVI connector. Card runs
perfect. I reconmend this to anyone on a budget.

Old February 12th 07, 06:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dan

There is no issues with ATI. The drivers for Vista are more stable than
Nvidia, whom I think were asleep at the wheel when Vista released. ATI was
more on top of things. Personally, I would use the Digital-OUT Ports on the
Video card and NOT the TV Out. They work much better and don't cause as much
color issues or flickering as with a standard 15-pin connection. You can get
a DVI to HDMI connector and plug in the later sets directly for the best
picture. I have no problems with that setup using ATI x1900 series and the
latest ATI Drivers, connecting to a monitor or HDTV. I am running
1080P resolution. It is very nice. Speed is great. WoW
looked never better and as stable as can be.

No issues here. Running Windows Vista Ultimate.

"Rockland2" wrote:

Hey, Ive built six or seven PC's for friends and family, and every time I've
had to deal with ATI cards I could not get the dual monitors selection to
work! ATI would only let me choose one or the other, TV or monitor. I
recently built this PC that I'm writing with now an ECS RS-482m with built in
ATI graphics with a seperate connecter to the motherboard for TV out, and I
still couldn't get it to work, I did the support thing back and forth to ATI
and AMD with e-mails, and finally just went out and bought an nVidia PCI
express card and viola, dual monitors. The folks at ATI act as if they've
never heard of this before, or am I the only person that hooks his PC up to
the TV so I can watch internet movies on the TV? Hmm. Anyways, thats my
2cents worth.
--
Rockland2 Sherman Oaks, California

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

The brand of the card has more to do with stability than the actual chipset.
I have had very good luck with Gigabyte cards using either ATI or NVidia
chipsets. The ATI seem to have a crisper display. With ATI you can buy ATI
branded cards direct from ATI which have support from the chipset
manufacturer. As far as I know there are no NVidia branded cards.

As far as ATI vs. NVidia, currently the drivers that are built into the RTM
release are the most stable for both. I'd give a slight nod to ATI but some
people have had problems with the sleep function on some motherboards.
Changing to an NVidia card often fixes this. By the time Vista is publicly
available this will probably change. In the past I have have found that
overall ATI drivers (without installing the Catalyst Control Center) are the
most stable but this changes as new drivers are released. I usually install
the drivers that came with the card and never change them unless there are
problems. Note - this is for business use. For gaming it's a whole different
story.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old February 12th 07, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MarkL

I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate on my system: ASUS PC-DL Deluxe,
dual Xeon P4s-3.06; 2 x 500GB RAID1's; 2GB RAM - and have an ATI Radeon X1650
Pro/AGP - it gets 4.3 rating by Vista and honks in both business as well as
gaming performance thus far. Rather than upgrade the entire system to a MB
that has a PCI-Express, I stuck with the one I have - AGP works fine. ATI
just released very stable Vista drivers that give you the full functionality
they had in XP and then some. You can't go wrong with ATI - I agree that
they have the most stable and best drivers currently for Vista. Color
through RGB setting on my Viewsonic VX1935wm is stunning!
Mark

Old February 15th 07, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dan

It really all depends on how much your willing to spend and/or how much
performance you "really" need.

The 7300GS is a budget card, its not designed for heavy duty use. I built a
few vista machines this week at work with 7100GS, 7600GT and 8800GTX. I
myself use a 7900GT.

If your going to open lots of programs at the same time and really use dual
display alot, your going to need at least a 7900GT 256mb. Aero uses graphics
memory to display the 3d images. You may find that depending on the work your
doing (EG: CAD 3d in backgroud and/or more intense apps.), you will need a
7950GT-512mb or even a 8800GTS-320mb / 880GTX.

Its really hard to say what you will need, simply because each user is
different.

I would suggest that you look over the application usage of your users
before buying a load of cards.

You will be able to get away with a 7600GT, but as i said above, dual
displays and usage is going to make a bigger difference on performance in
vista than most people think. For example, using a 7100GS it could handle 1
window open, more than that and performance (frame rates) were reduced by
half. This was with a core2 duo 6300. My pc at home uses a 7900GT and a core2
duo 6400, i have no problems with display lag, nor do i have to be careful
about how many windows i have open. (100.59 drivers beta)

Good luck with ur findings for a card.

Old February 16th 07, 02:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
umpaflumpa

i was running an ATI radeon X850 pro agp card (prob less than £100 now), its
got dual output, i was runing a 19" lcd and the other display was through my
LG 50" HD plasma, all worked perfect, the display on the plasma was 1900 and
on the lcd was 1280, i could play all latest games like ghost recon advanced
warfighter at full detail no probs, ive only got rid because hav upgraded to
Sli, which i now have the x1950xtx in running on Vista no problem, but at the
moment Vista is a little slower on benchmarks than XP in the same PC, but
theyre getting there, ive tried 2x geforce 7900gs cards in but no real
support from nvidia on Vista so went back to the Ati until the DirectX 10 war
starts between the big guns, so the prices come down
hope this helps a bit, if i`m not to late

Old February 16th 07, 04:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
S-onic

using 7900 gt (nvidia) with vista ultimate 32 bit got an index of 5.9 ! works
gr8

"markus" wrote:

"-D" wrote:

I have the GeForce 5200, however i can not get the video card software to
install. I did get a driver from their site that works but as far as getting
aero to work i am at a loss. I welcome any help. thanks!

"dev" wrote:

/joymac/ said:

I am presently running vista ultimate on a amd Athlon 64 x2 with aNvidia
Geforce 7300 gs microsoft drivers as I had some troubles with Nvidia driver
installing and am going to wait till driver is out of beta before trying
again. Performance index is only 3.2 on business and gaming graphics same
machine using RC2 and Nvidia driver result was 3.4. I have the task of
upgrading serveral machines to Vista shortly and am tring to get a idea of
the best cards to use on slighly less powerful machines but must have dual
monitor support vga/dvi vga/vga or dvi/dvi. Not looking for company loyalty

With PCI-E video adapters overtaking AGP, it makes sense to spend the
minimum necessary on outdated technology.

I can only say that here an MSI NVidia 5200 128Mb card does just fine -
using a 22" widescreen LCD fed via VGA. Aero is fully functional, and
video seems as peppy with Vista Ultimate RC2 as it did under XP for
typical word processing, accounting and Net surfing. No games tested.

For Nvidia, they only support Geforce 6x and up and Quadro for vista.
Here is a link for x86
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...supported.html

I am sure x64 is the same. I upgraded an old machine to a 6200 agp card for
less than $50 and it works fine.

Old February 16th 07, 07:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
katmann98

I am running an NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS AGP card with a 5.9 rating... this on
a three year old Pentium 4 3.0gig processor with 4.0gig of memory..the card
is awesome and reasonably priced.... my overall computer rating is 4.2
should work well for you ...I would not see why not? good luck ..this is on
Vista Home Premium Upgrade edition also

"joymac" wrote:

Mainly for business Also should include that the cards I will be looking for
are AGP. This is going to be a recomended product so stability is importannt
as well if I can give a report that it has an index of ?? that much better
thanks for the info.

--
Trying to make sense of it all

"Clint" wrote:

What do you mean by "best"? For gaming? Dual displays?

I'm using an ATI X1800 GTO card, get 5.7 for business and gaming graphics.
Does alright but nothing exceptional. Has dual DVI, came with 2 VGA
adapters as well. I'm using it with a 20" WS LCD and a 19" CRT.

Clint