How to Restore Vista Backup Files with an External Hard Drive

Old December 20th 08, 03:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
omamoh

Default How to Restore Vista Backup Files with an External Hard Drive

I have Vista Home Premium Edition installed in my system. Recently, due
to a problem with corrupted protected system files, I was forced to
conduct a clean re-install of the operating system.Before re-installing
Vista, I backed up my all data including softwares into an external hard
drive. After reinstallation I have attempted to restore the backup
files, unfortunately Vista does not recognize the backup source. When
turning on the external drive my system recognizes it, however when
navigating to Control Panel/Backup and Restore Center/Restore files from
backup/and then to Restore Files I receive a yellow yield icon with an
exclamation indicating that "There are no backups available on this
computer". Very odd. I cannot seem to restore my files from the
files are stored, and they are there. Can anyone help me with this
problem please? Thank you in advance!

--
omamoh

Old December 20th 08, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ken Blake, MVP

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 04:29:35 +0000, omamoh
wrote:

I have Vista Home Premium Edition installed in my system. Recently, due
to a problem with corrupted protected system files, I was forced to

"Forced"? Maybe, but it's hardly ever necessary, and is usually the
worst course of action.

conduct a clean re-install of the operating system.Before re-installing
Vista, I backed up my all data including softwares into an external hard
drive. After reinstallation I have attempted to restore the backup
files, unfortunately Vista does not recognize the backup source. When
turning on the external drive my system recognizes it, however when
navigating to Control Panel/Backup and Restore Center/Restore files from
backup/and then to Restore Files I receive a yellow yield icon with an
exclamation indicating that "There are no backups available on this
computer". Very odd. I cannot seem to restore my files from the
files are stored, and they are there. Can anyone help me with this
problem please? Thank you in advance!

Two points:

1. How did you do the backup? Was the backup made with the built-in
Vista backup program? How did you "check the external HDD to insure
that the files are stored"?

2. Note that backup of your software is useless. Except for a very
occasional very small program, all programs have entries and
references within the registry and elsewhere in \windows.
They can't be run under Windows unless they were *installed* in that
copy of Windows. Except for backups which are images or clones of the
entire drive, only backups of data files are usable.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old December 21st 08, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
omamoh[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

----

::I made the backup with the built-in Vista backup program and I have
checked the external HDD and it shows two GB with lots of folders and
files. I don’t worry about programs but I need to restore some important
files. Is there any possible way I can retrieve those files. I look
forward your help. Thanks::

--
omamoh

Old January 1st 09, 01:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Olv

Default The same problem.......

Dear Blake, thanks for your reply.

I have the same problem but, I'm afraid your reply wasn't helpful.
Olv
Old January 1st 09, 02:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

Olv wrote:

Dear Blake, thanks for your reply.

I have the same problem but, I'm afraid your reply wasn't helpful.
Olv

Dear Olv,

Because you are using the web interface and didn't 1) stay in the original
thread; 2) quote any of the original thread - no one knows what you're
talking about and thus no one (except possibly Blake if he sees this) can
help you. Most of the rest of us are using real newsreaders and we don't
see what you do. Please take a look at the information below and if you
would like help with whatever your "same problem" is, go to some of the
"How to Post" links and then come back with all pertinent details. We
really do want to help you but you need to give us something with which to
work.

If you want to participate in Usenet, the better way is to set up a
newsreader. This is very easy to do and I'll give you information about
that below. If you prefer to use a forum, then here are two excellent ones:

http://forum.aumha.org/index.php
http://http://computerhaven.info/

Since you are using a web interface, you may not realize that this is really
a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use
a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use
Outlook Express (XP) or Windows Mail (Vista) since you already have it.
Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief explanation
of newsgroups

Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outloo...snewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm

How to Post:
http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help on
Usenet

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is working
properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting

Other Newsreaders for Windows:
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php - Forte
http://www.mozilla.org - Thunderbird

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old January 1st 09, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Olv

Default The same problem Cnt'd....

Basically, this is what happened: my laptop was getting slower and it would
freeze once in a while. I then decided to format the HDD but before that, I
made sure I backed up all my data on an external HDD.

After reinstallation of the same OS I was using before (Vista Home Premium),
I couldn't restore my files from the HDD using the vista backup and restore
application that comes with the OS (that I had used to back up my data). The
application can't read the backup source.

Kindly help us, please.
Olv
Old January 1st 09, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ken Blake, MVP

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 07:41:06 -0800, Malke
wrote:

Olv wrote:

Dear Blake, thanks for your reply.

I have the same problem but, I'm afraid your reply wasn't helpful.
Olv

Dear Olv,

Because you are using the web interface and didn't 1) stay in the original
thread; 2) quote any of the original thread - no one knows what you're
talking about and thus no one (except possibly Blake if he sees this)

I don't know whether I'm the Blake he mentioned, but I have no idea
what his problem is.

Old January 26th 09, 10:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Don Tolbert

Assuming that both of you are using the backup and restore center under the
maintenance folder in the start menu. Click on restore, advanced restore,
restore using a backup from another computer. Try that and see if you can
navigate to the correct external drive to locate your backups.

DT

Old September 29th 09, 08:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
minstral_boy

Don Tolbert;4203179 Wrote:
Assuming that both of you are using the backup and restore center under
the
maintenance folder in the start menu. Click on restore, advanced
restore,
restore using a backup from another computer. Try that and see if you
can
navigate to the correct external drive to locate your backups.

DT

Don

I have the same problem as descibed by the guys. Basically I need to
send the Laptop back to DELL to get a few things replaced under
warranty. They asked me to back up the hard drive before sending it to
them.

I backed up onto an external hard drive but I could not restore
afterwards because the back up files could not be located. I moved the
backup files to a folder on the hard drive but it still could not locate
the files when using the restore function from the control panel.

Any ideas?

--
minstral_boy
minstral_boy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/139676.htm