Need Advice to form outbound rule -Vista, WindowsMail and Symantec

Old December 24th 08, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
homerat

Default Need Advice to form outbound rule -Vista, WindowsMail and Symantec

I need help forming an outbound rule for the firewall in vista home
premium 32 bit. I am using Windows Mail, and the Windows firewall, and
Norton internet security 2008. I don't use the Norton Firewall.

I have turned on the outbound firewall and have been creating rules for
Firefox, Skype etc. this works ok. But Windows Mail is being blocked,
because the virus scanner in Norton is not allowed to proceed. After
creating a rule for Windows Mail, if I turn off Email scanning in
Norton, then the mail connects thru the firewall ok.

My principle problem , and what I seek advice on, is that I cannot
figure out which Norton program or service to allow in a rule. Norton
has hidden itself pretty well. This is all for the outbound firewall
protection, not inbound. So I would appreciate someone to give me some
step by step advise on creating such a rule.

I want to keep using the Windows Firewall.

Thanks in advance,
Homer_at

--
homerat
Old December 24th 08, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
DL

You should'nt use email scanning, either in or out with Mail or any other
mail application, as this causes no end of problems with mail applications

Old December 26th 08, 05:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Alun Jones

Loath as I am to suggest to anyone that they turn off a running antivirus
program, here's a case where I have to agree with DL - as to the explanation
why:
1. If you've already got active virus scanning, scanning everything you load
and run, mail scanning _by_the_same_program_ will not achieve anything other
than double slow-down. Mail scanning by a _different_ program will have some
use, and you'll find many mail servers will virus-scan incoming messages
before your client gets to them.
2. Antivirus scanning of mail often takes so long that mail clients and/or
servers think that the mail server is non-responsive. This leads to the mail
client stating that it hasn't sent the email, and the mail server to refuse
to accept the message. As a defence against this, the antivirus companies
typically send multiple non-operative commands or blank headers in the
message - this in itself bloats the transaction between client and server to
an unhelpful extent, and can cause messages to not be delivered
successfully.

Alun.
~~~~
--
Texas Imperial Software | Web: http://www.wftpd.com/
23921 57th Ave SE | Blog: http://msmvps.com/alunj/

Old December 27th 08, 12:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kayman[_6_]

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 07:42:01 -0600, homerat wrote:

I need help forming an outbound rule for the firewall in vista home
premium 32 bit. I am using Windows Mail, and the Windows firewall, and
Norton internet security 2008. I don't use the Norton Firewall.

I have turned on the outbound firewall and have been creating rules for
Firefox, Skype etc. this works ok. But Windows Mail is being blocked,
because the virus scanner in Norton is not allowed to proceed. After
creating a rule for Windows Mail, if I turn off Email scanning in
Norton, then the mail connects thru the firewall ok.

Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx

And ensure your e-mail program is configured to display e-mail messages in
'Plain Text' only.