Seagate FreeAgent | Xtreme External HDD Software on Vista Ultimate x64

Old December 26th 08, 07:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AnarchyCow

Default Seagate FreeAgent | Xtreme External HDD Software on Vista Ultimate x64

As many of you who use Seagate External Hard Drives might know, the
Seagate tools that come on the External HDD do not work with 64-bit
operating systems at all. Which personally, makes me upset.
Pretty much anyone who is really going to use 1-1.5TB HDD space is
going to know what they are doing when it comes to computer, in the
current day and age with the amount of ram swelling to over what a
32-bit operating system can handle, you would think that they would
understand that people are going to start running 64-bit OS's and would
need support for 64-bit OS's, but alas, no support at all...

I'm wondering, I just went out and bought a 1.5TB Seagate FreeAgent
XTreme External Hard Drive, and what utilities can I install on the
External Hard Drive to back up my information? What kind of utilities do
you guys use, if any, on External Hard Drives.
I know I can backup manually, but it would just be nice if Seagate
would come up to speed with the current world of computing... Is there
some Hardware limitation? Or, is it as I think, they just aren't
bringing things up to date...

--
AnarchyCow
Old December 26th 08, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

I never use ANY of the utilities supplied with the external drives. They
give them to you as a courtesy, so you don't have to purchase anything else.
They are "usually" cut down versions of a superior product.

I have paid for quality backup programs and use them with the external
drive. The external drive can be bare and a good backup utility will still
function with the drive.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP