pocket pc 2002--- vista

Old December 27th 08, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
chris parr

Default pocket pc 2002--- vista

I have recently bought a new laptop with vista premium on it. I also have my
dads old pda, running pocket pc 2002- which i use for my course studies.
problem is, these machines are notorious for having volatile memory, and if
power is lost, so are my installed programmes- such as adobe reader and
pocket slides- both vital. at home during the holidays this isnt a problem, i
have access to windows xp and can use active sync to reinstall (or to install
brand new software). once i leave for uni.... i cant. active sync doesnt
support vista, and vistas mobile device centre doesnt support pocket pc
2002/windows CE. how the dickens am i supposed to use my pda now? (file
transfer support is supported thankfully- its just file installation thats a
problem). is there an alternative system i can use, or a way of making them
talk?
Old December 27th 08, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
V Green

Yep, I fought this too. My situation might have been
even more critical - I use PPC's to run my service business
and cannot imagine functioning without them.

Most flavors of the PPC OS past 2003SE are pretty much
cow dung, inflated with worhless fluff you don't need and/or want,
missing things I rely on (like syncing over 802.11).
Since Vista wouldn't properly support them,
I upgraded the new UMPC I bought that came with Vista
with XP Pro (you betcha, XP is a definite upgrade to Vista)
after wasting a month running Vista trying to get my legacy
hardware to work. I do NOT believe in the irresponsible "just
buy new hardware until the OS works" model of consumptive
marketing - I use stuff until it wears out (I have bought enough
spare 2003SE devices + laptops that run or have driver support
for XP to last me for years).

I reinstalled all the stuff I was used to on XP (and which worked as it
was supposed to) and life was swell once again.

Old December 27th 08, 10:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper [MVP]

You can use it in its most simple form as a connected device, but you are
correct that more advanced features such as sync, program installation, etc.
won't work any longer. There is no work-around that will allow you to use
your old PDA with Vista the way you want to.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Desktop]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old December 28th 08, 04:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bender

If you use the Vista Windows Mobile Device Center, you can sync with a
Pocket PC 2002 device. I have a ViewSonic PDA running Pocket PC 2002,
(version 3.0.11171).
When Vista first came out, only my newer PDA was supported running Windows
Mobile 2003 SE (version 4.21.1088).
But one day a few months ago I discovered that my older PDA was now
supported.

Another option is to use any backup software built into (provided by the
pocket pc manufacturer) the device and do a full backup onto a location on
the device that is not volatile memory or a memory card. Then if you lose
your memory, a backup restore should put all your apps back onto the device.
Both of my PDA's have such backup software included on the device.

Old December 28th 08, 04:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bender

These devices with Pocket PC 2002, version 3.0.11171 at least do work with
Windows Mobile Device Center. I just synced my outlook data and Microsoft
Reader onto my device to check and indeed it does work.