adware, threat level

Old December 29th 08, 01:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
t-4-2[_99_]

Default adware, threat level

Hello everyone,
I had recently downloaded some animated Smiles. My AV programs found adware
in the Smiley program, namely MyWebSearch and Fun Web Products. The threat
level ( scale 1- 10 ) is 1.
I am not sure if I should or should not keep the Smiley program. Please
advise. Thank you.

Old December 29th 08, 03:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Richard Urban

If you don't mind adware, keep the silly smilies.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old December 29th 08, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
t-4-2[_99_]

Please elaborate what adware at threat level 1 could do to my computer. I am
not knowledgeable to understand the consequences. " Level 1 " seems to be
non-threatening. No ?

Old December 29th 08, 04:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Richard Urban

The problem with adware, especially the ones you have placed on your
computer, is that there is nothing stopping them from placing god knows what
else on your computer at a future date. The adware companies basically have
a back door into your computer.

I certainly wouldn't their crap on my computer.

Old December 29th 08, 05:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Mark H[_2_]

Threat levels are assigned by the vendor and inconsistent between vendors.
While "Level 1" sounds low, it's still adware.

Kind of like me tapping on your knuckles with a hammer, a nag screen,
toolbar, or other unwanted function will eventually become annoying and as
Richard points out it provides a backdoor to somebody (which doesn't have to
be those who created it.) The level assignments provide you a guage as to
where you can draw the line on future installations of other crapware.

I would simply tell you that if you got it for free, and you were warned
about it's contents, you'll probably find the controls on that tapping
hammer a little inconsistent over time.

Old December 31st 08, 04:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
David B.[_3_]

Now download and run malwarebytes (malwarebytes.org) because the mywebsearch
uninstaller does not actually uninstall most of itself.

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm