Hide N' Go Seek HDD

Old January 1st 09, 06:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
2aider

Default Hide N' Go Seek HDD

Specs:
CAS: CoolerMaster Centurion 590 RC-590 Mid-Tower 420W Case [-63]
CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 8MB L2 Cache
64-bit
CD: LG 20X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
FAN: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System
*HDD: Hitachi 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) Asus Striker Extreme nForce 680i SLI
Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit*
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts Power Supplies
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express

Issue:
I received a *WD 75GB 10,0000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive*
as a Christmas present. I mounted it, plugged it in, and started up. I
checked BIOS to make sure it was recognizing the new hardware (it was).
I went into Disk Management and went through the step-by-step wizard to
format my drive. I leave as its formatting and come back to a restarted
computer and the following problem:
Problem signatu
*Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFFA60009F023E
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1*
*Now, I restart and check my BIOS and it doesn't recognize the drive
(unless I unplug it and then put it back in). Under Disk Management it
recognizes the drive (even when the BIOS doesn't show it) as my 69.25 GB
RAW Healthy (Primary Partition) Hard Drive. Under My Computer, it shows
up but insists I format it, which I do only to have it crash my
computer. Is it the Hard Drive, Vista, my Mobo, or Donald Trump? Any
help would be appreciated.*

--
2aider
Old January 1st 09, 07:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Airbot

2aider;925944 Wrote:
[...]

Hi 2aider,

It might be Donald Trump.

Well, I'll show you this, if you can make out what it's trying to say,
not I, lol. Maybe It'll give you a start.

'Bug Check 0xD1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL'
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795930.aspx)

Possibly your HDD doesn't agree with your system.

--
Airbot

If I helped you then you can click on the scales arty:
If you helped me then Thank You.
Aaron
Old January 1st 09, 10:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper [MVP]

Have you tried connecting it to a different computer to verify that the
drive isn't defective? Most of these external drives don't require
formatting prior to use. Any time I connect an external drive or flash
memory and it claims it needs formatting prior to use I become concerned
that the drive/flash memory is defective and more often than not I'm right.
:-)

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Desktop]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old January 1st 09, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT][_2_]

This is most likely a BIOS problem.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your system. Also check to see what
kind of access the BIOS is using for your new drive (AHCI, IDE, EHCI). If
you switch to IDE, you might get past this problem, but lose some benefits
of the SATA interface.