External USB Hard Drive

Old January 1st 09, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Waggy64

Default External USB Hard Drive

Hi all.

I have scoured the forums here and elswhere to a problem that seems to
affect many but the solutions seem just plain daft.

The problem -

Window 64 Ultimate with external hard drive.

The external hard drive has occasionally dropped from its NTFS file
system to RAW. Windows then cannot recognise the drive and requests you
format it. Why on earth does this happen? Thankfully this is a backup
drive for photos so no lost data but surely you're not expected to keep
formatting the drive everytime windows throws an unnecessary fit. I have
plugged the drive into an xp (home) machine and although the hardware
manager sees it, it cannot be seen from "my computer".

Vista 64 has also asked for a format when other new drives have been
plugged in! I have bought 2 or 3 external hard drives when I first
started using this operated system and took all the drives back to the
retailer thinking the drives weren't working, naturally i was rather
flummoxed at how unlucky I was but I knew there was something amiss.
Since then I have seen that Vista uses a system that puts some sort of
boot up prgramme on the external drives.

Is there a way around this?

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble (something to do with a New Years
Eve bash I went to) But I'd appreciate help on this mystifying new
system that doesn't seem to be fixed with any of the Vista Updates.

Happy New Year.

Wags

--
Waggy64
Old January 1st 09, 05:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
D Lirious

You should not be reformatting your hard drives like that.
All versions of Windows occasionally fail to recognize a USB drive. Often
unplugging and replugging the USB connection or turning the drive on and off
will solve the problem or, better, rebooting with the USB drive plugged in
and turned on.
There is no RAW file system so you will have to explain what you are seeing.
You also should try a different USB port on your computer as that may be the
problem.
You may also need to delete the USB drivers under control panel and reboot
so uncorrupted drivers will be reinstalled.
When you plug your USB drive into another computer you will not see it on
the network until you set up sharing properly. This is far more difficult to
do in Vista than XP. Once you set up sharing it will be lost if you power
down the USB drive or unplug it.

Old January 1st 09, 05:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

That sounds like a possible hardware problem with the USB ports on your
computer. Make sure you have the latest driver for your motherboard chipset.
Have you tried using a different physical USB port on your computer? Have
you tried using a powered external USB hub?

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/