Copying or deleting a large number of files

Old January 2nd 09, 11:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jeroen

Default Copying or deleting a large number of files

Hello,

When I copy or delete a large number of files (1000) in Vista32, the
explorer.exe process grows to more than 1.5GB in size, and then my computer
stops responding.

I think there is a memory leak in Windows Explorer?

And how can I copy, move or delete large numbers of files?

Thank you very much for your answers in advance!

Kind regards,
Jeroen

Old January 24th 09, 03:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Akarithor

You can still copy/delete a large number of files, but maybe 1000 is a
little too much, try and lower the size to maybe a hundred a time, and
see what happens then.

--
Akarithor
Old January 26th 09, 07:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jeroen de Wolf

When I have a folder with, say, 5.000 files, it's not a nice task to copy 50
times one hundred files!

I've noticed that copying 10 times 100 files a time causes much less growth
of explorer than copying 1 time 1000 files; that's why my conclusion is that
something in explorer is not coded right. The same goes for just SELECTING
those files; I think the properties of ALL selected or copied files are
loaded into memory, regardless of how many files are selected, and that those
properties are not cleaned from memory very well. Maybe some inside MS
developer can confirm this?

Old January 26th 09, 01:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, Jeroen.

Which version of Vista? Is it x64 or x86?

I don't know your specific needs, but if you want to delete ALL the files in
a folder, you could use the "rd /s" command to Remove Directory, including
all the files and subfolders in that directory tree. For details, open a
Command Prompt window and type "rd /?" for a mini-Help file showing all the
switches and parameters available for the rd command. Depending on the type
of files, you might need to right-click Command Prompt and chose to Run as
Administrator.

(If you need to delete 4,999 of the 5,000 files in a folder, first Move the
one good file elsewhere, then use rd /s to delete the folder with all the
remaining files - then recreate the folder with md and Move the good file
back into it.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail 2009 in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000)

Old February 6th 09, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
COBSOLV

Hi,
Please let us know if you ever find an error to this problem.
I am running Vista Home Basic on an ASUS 2GHZ CEL and have the same
problem. Explorer just gives up after 1 minute of the blue circle of
death and then jumps to another window (if there are any open),
selecting 1000+ files.
In addition I also have problems on USB drive and memory stick. No
errors are reported, but (say) only 100 out of 1000 files are actually
copied.
I have had my disc, memory, CPU checked; upgraded to 3GB Ram,
downloaded ASUS utility updates, confirmed I have SP1 installed etc..and
the only solution I have been offered is to reload Vista - as though I
have days to spare reloading all my software. Not to mention how can I
be sure I have successfully backed up (copied) all my data.

--
COBSOLV
COBSOLV's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/cobsolv.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 15th 09, 05:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
bjh

Anyone ever come up with a solution to this? Not having the problem on
my Vista box, but actually with a Windows 2003 Server. I can't seem to
find information anywhere else on the problem.

--
bjh
Old May 15th 09, 07:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard Urban

If you would ask a proper question................?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old May 15th 09, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Viper71

So why isn't this a "proper question" ??
Vista appearently has a problem deleting a large number of files, and
the so called "solution" of using "remove directory" offcourse is NOT a
solution at all, that's just avoiding the subject.
That's like when you're having problems playing mp3-files on Vista,
saying "Then don't play mp3-files on Vista". Problem solved....
You have problems sending mail in Vista? Solution: Don't send mail in
Vista. Voila, problem solved!!
You have problems booting up Windows Vista? Then just don't do it.
Voila, problem solved!

Are you all serious here???? Am I the only sane person in this
thread???
This is simply a HUGE bug in Vista, which offcourse has to be repared
by Microsoft. End of story.

--
Viper71
Viper71's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/91865.htm

Old May 15th 09, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
jerrymcm

Are you unable to highlight a number of files by holding down on the shift
key?

Old May 15th 09, 05:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard Urban

NOTE: If you read, he is NOT have the problem on his Vista box.

The question should be asked in a server news group.