Vista...? Proceed with caution!

Old January 5th 07, 10:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Paul-B

Default Vista...? Proceed with caution!

Hertz_Donut wrote:

"Paul-B" wrote in message
Hertz_Donut wrote:

"Alias" wrote in message
Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin] wrote:
Apple also uses DRM in their software, how you think they got
Hollywood and the Music Industry to sell their stuff through
through the iTunes Store? Also, Apple also locks into its own
DRM technology for example the proprietary AAC codec the iPod
uses.

I guess that leaves Linux.

Alias

No, it just means that there are still idiots that think Linux is
the answer...

Honu

Tell us what the question is and we can then see if, indeed, Linux
is the answer.

For instance, if the question were to be "What o/s can I install
which is free, quick and easy to install, fast, has bundled with it
apps which can be used to run an average office workstation, and
can run on a minimum-spec pc" what, I wonder would the answer be?

I know one thing it wouldn't be, and that is "Any flavour of
Windows".

-- Paul-B

Okay, here is a question:

What OS can I install the does not require me to hunt for drivers for
my hardware, does not require the knowledge and use of arcane
commands, and can run the 70,000 + software programs currently
available for the Windows platform?

Would you honestly recommend Linux to someone who uses the crutch of
AOL?

Linux, while it has it's place, is definitely not a candidate to
replace Windows.

Honu.

OK, I never said, nor do I believe that any flavour of Linux is a
candidate to replace Windows. However, with the restrictions and
pricing levels Microsoft is currently applying to Windows there are a
whole host of applications where Linux can perform as well, if not
better than Windows.

Let's take the question of drivers. There is no o/s currently available
which does not require the installer to hunt for drivers, and that
includes Windows Vista. I was amazed when I installed Ubuntu on one of
my PC's to find that every driver I required was automatically
installed. It picked-up my SATA driver, all my chipset drivers, my
wireless network card driver, installed them and was a completed setup
in about 20 minutes. The very same PC (the one I'm using at present)
was a pig to set-up with Vista RTM... it didn't see the SATA drives
(Ali chipset), once I had installed the SATA drivers it took over 40
minutes to install, and I had to go hunt for the soundcard and the
wireless card drivers.

The PC spec is fairly modest, just a Gigabyte of memory and an Athlon
XP2500 processor. Vista runs, but isn't very fast, in fact it's slower
than XP on the same machine. Ubuntu, OTOH, loads and runs much faster
than both Microsoft products. In fact, it's ideal for use as a general
office workstation, which is where Ubuntu/Kubuntu come into their own.

I work as a freelance IT Consultant to sme's here in the UK. By far the
majority of my clients... accountants, architects, builders etc have a
requirement for simple workstations which will run Wordprocessors,
Spreadsheets, Presentation software, email clients, web-browsers and
the like. Supplying them with a standard Ubuntu-based workstation saves
them around 600/800 UKP over the Windows/Microsoft equivalent, a
considerable saving for something which is a basic tool. I put in a few
demo systems and you'd be surprised how much my clients get to like
them.

Now we're looking at servers. Linux comes into it's own for
small-business server apps, and I can see it becoming a definite
challenge to the Microsoft stuff in this field, given the rocketing
price of the hardware and the software required for Microsoft-based
systems. Linux is already supplied in many embedded-systems equipment
and I believe the majority of commercial servers running, say, Apache
are Linux-based. For a small business with a network consisting of a
server and 20-40 workstations, using their server for mail/web/file
serving applications Linux is a definite candidate, performing
beautifully in this environment at zero cost.

I'm not, as I said, saying that Linux will replace Microsoft, any more
than, say, OS/X will, but it has it's place.

As for Vista, at the moment there is no way I will recommend any of my
clients to switch or upgrade when they buy their new software. It's
expensive, and it still has huge problems compared with XP. Like XP, I
presume after Vista SP1 or SP2 it will become attractive, as XP itself
did. You have to admit that XP was a pig until SP1, some even say SP2.
I know it took me a fair while to finally go over from W2K to WXP, W2K
was such a huge improvement on W98SE I used it from the start, but not
so the later XP.

--
Paul-B
Old January 5th 07, 01:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dale

The problem with DRM is that it is all proprietary. I can buy a television
and pick up the picture and sound from any station. I don't need a
different television set for each provider. That's how DRM should work -
competitively rather than proprietarily. The only end result of the current
practice will be limited competition and possibly even a DRM monopoly. All
DRM standards should be made publicly available. When you argue that DRM
creators have costs involved and shouldn't have to make them publicly
available, remember that television standards and even HDTV standard weren't
created by the FCC, they were created by the industry and then the FCC
selected/approved/forced down our throats the standard they thought was
best. In any case, the manufacturers and broadcast industry bore the cost
of the public standard and they're making money. That's what should be done
with DRM.

Dale

"Howard Kelley" wrote in message
Those who want to rob banks are always going to find a way of doing
it...therefore should we not lock up the banks at night? I realize having
tellers in the bank inconvenience and cost innocent people who otherwise
should be able to bank on the honor system. DRM is not evil..neither are
locks.

"ChrisM" wrote:
....All it (Vista) is going to do is inconvenience and cost innocent
people. Those that want to make illegal copies are always going to find
ways
of doing it...

Old January 5th 07, 07:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Nina DiBoy

Troy McClure wrote:
not really. doesnt have too much to do with the os. its the file type
and media thats involved

While that may or may not be the case, try running a media center
without content protection. I use this at home and because there is no
content protection software in my setup, everything just works and I
have no idea if the channel or program I am watching at any given time
is content protected. It all just works and setup was a breeze.

Mythdora:
http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/mythdo...all/howto.html

"Alias" wrote in message
Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin] wrote:
Apple also uses DRM in their software, how you think they got
Hollywood and the Music Industry to sell their stuff through through
the iTunes Store? Also, Apple also locks into its own DRM technology
for example the proprietary AAC codec the iPod uses.

I guess that leaves Linux.

Alias

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot

Old January 5th 07, 09:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Randy

Isn't this what Global Fair & Open Trade is supposed to bring... lower
priced goods for consumers worldwide, not just cheap labor for corporations?
So where is fair global bounty for US workers/consumers? More and more,
corporate protectionism embezzles living-wages then wants to loan you the
difference. But this forum is about Vista. Vista DRM will help you find the
best prices on legal digital content within the global market arena, right?

"Roscoe" wrote in message
No kidding. When you can download songs at .06 a pop, you gotta think
something is not quite kosher.

"Peter M" wrote in message
AllofMp3 is in it's own hot water at the moment with other like sites no
doubt to follow.

US Music Publishers Sue AllofMP3 for $1.65 Trillion
By Scott M. Fulton, III, BetaNews
December 21, 2006, 6:44 PM
In a move curious only due to its relatively late timing, the major
record production labels in the US have filed suit in federal court
against Russian online music distributor AllofMP3.com, seeking $150,000
USD for each single violation of copyright infringement for tracks the
site posted without authorization.

"ChrisM" wrote in message
Hi Andre,

I don't really understand your point. I know that DRM rears its ugly
head in many places these days, and certainly not least Apple and iPod
etc. However, the effects of this are fairly minimal, and can be fairly
easily go around if required (eg by using MP3s and not AAC files, and
using AllOfMP3 rather than iTunes)

Old January 8th 07, 05:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Chris

Unless you have a widescreen laptop with wi-fi, but those are pretty rare.

"Alias" wrote in message
Hertz_Donut wrote:
"Paul-B" wrote in message
Hertz_Donut wrote:

"Alias" wrote in message
[...]

Ubuntu.

does not require the knowledge and use of arcane commands,

Ubuntu.

and can
run the 70,000 + software programs currently available for the Windows
platform?

There are more for the Ubuntu platform, all free, unlike most of what's
written for Windows.

Would you honestly recommend Linux to someone who uses the crutch of AOL?

Ubuntu, yes.

Linux, while it has it's place, is definitely not a candidate to replace
Windows.

Honu.

Where have you been, under a rock? Try Ubuntu and see if you feel the same
way. Linux isn't just for geeks anymore.

Alias

Old January 8th 07, 10:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
ChrisM

In message ,
Howard Kelley Proclaimed from the
tallest tower:

"ChrisM" wrote:
....All it (Vista) is going to do is inconvenience and cost innocent
people. Those that want to make illegal copies are always going to
find ways of doing it...

Ok, how about if everytime you wanted to withdraw a few quid(or dollars or
whatever) from your bank, you had to bring your passport and drivers
licence, give your fingerprints, type in a pin code and then wait (maybe
some time) for the bank manager to go to the safe, unlock it and fetch your
money for you. On finally being handed over the cash you then find that you
can only actually spend it in 2 or 3 specific shops... and it vanishes after
a few weeks if you don't spend it quickly enough

--
Regards,
Chris.

Old January 8th 07, 12:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Alias

Chris wrote:
Unless you have a widescreen laptop with wi-fi, but those are pretty
rare.

I don't know about the widescreen but Ubuntu supports wi-fi.

Alias

"Alias" wrote in message
Hertz_Donut wrote:

Old January 8th 07, 03:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
HeyBub

Alias wrote:
Chris wrote:
Unless you have a widescreen laptop with wi-fi, but those are pretty
rare.

I don't know about the widescreen but Ubuntu supports wi-fi.

Who cares? Ubuntu sounds like another Nigerian scam.

Old January 8th 07, 04:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
arachnid

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 13:22:00 +0100, Alias wrote:

Chris wrote:
Unless you have a widescreen laptop with wi-fi, but those are pretty
rare.

I don't know about the widescreen but Ubuntu supports wi-fi.

Linux supports widescreen, too.

Old January 8th 07, 06:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Theo

HeyBub wrote:
Alias wrote:
Chris wrote:
Unless you have a widescreen laptop with wi-fi, but those are pretty
rare.

I don't know about the widescreen but Ubuntu supports wi-fi.

Who cares? Ubuntu sounds like another Nigerian scam.

And you sound like you're ignorant and ill-informed.

Most Texans display some level of education.