Vista 64-bit and monitor calibration

Old January 10th 09, 02:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
paulajane

Default Vista 64-bit and monitor calibration

I recently purchased a system with Vista Ultimate 64-bit, 2 GTX 280
video cards and have one monitor on each card. I did this because I
wanted to profile both monitors which you cannot do with one Video card
in a PC environment. I am able to profile the monitors using
Spyder3Elite. I get two profiles, I can attach them to the separate
monitors in the color management system and state use these devices. I
never see a change in either monitor when I turn my system on. Also, I
tried changing profiles, even bringing in strange ones and looking for
color changes while on the desktop and within Photoshop and there are no
changes whatsoever. If I delete all the profiles there are no changes.

When my Vista 32-bit laptop boots up, it changes from ite blue hue to a
neutral one and that remains even when I hibernate it, etc.

I have read multiple similar type posts but no one seems to have an
answer. I read about a supposed fix Microsoft KB941693, but if I try to
install the correct one for my system, Windows6.0-kb941693-x64.msu, it
says that it doesn't apply to this system. I have tried contacting
Microsoft directly and that has been a joke and a half. I, also,
contacted tech support on the Spyder and that was useless for this
situation.

I review graphic software and write tutorials for the major graphic
companies and this is killing me. I have been in the computer field for
over 20 years and understand how color works. I, also, am a
photographer and graphic artist. I need my system calibrated properly. I
seem to have it calibrated so it looks good and I believe it is
accurate, but I think it is strictly hardware through the controls on my
monitor which is how I used to do it before I started using different
calibration hardware.

This is driving me crazy because I cannot find out what to do or what
is wrong or not working.

--
paulajane
Old January 10th 09, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AlanD

Where to get import brand shoes and clothing. in online shop www
shoes-trader.com.
a friend recommend it to me.
low in price , high in quality.

--
AlanD
Old January 10th 09, 05:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

"wanted to profile both monitors which you cannot do with one Video card in
a PC environment"
Thats not true, provided you use a card with appropriate multi monitor
drivers, you can set each output as you wish

Old January 10th 09, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dominic Payer[_2_]

Have you installed the latest Spyder3Elite 3.0.7 software? This advises
which profile has been loaded at startup.

Old January 10th 09, 08:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
paulajane

Initially, I created all the profiles with the latest version. However,
the Utility kept saying it wasn't working and showing error messages
every time I booted. So I removed the software. I reinstalled it and
removed it a few times. Each time I cleaned out references to it in case
one was corrupt. Theoretically, in color management all I should have to
do is set the profile as the default one and tell windows to use it as
well as for added measure, I also checked the box saying integrate this
profile. I shouldn't need anything to load it.

The screen color, etc. nor did images in Photoshop ever change once
the profile was created anyway and it doesn't change if I choose a
profile from the list in Windows and list it as default.

--
paulajane
Old January 10th 09, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dominic Payer[_2_]

You can have 2 different monitor profiles with one card, but unless the
monitors have different device descriptions in Device Manager you need
something like the Spyder software to load different profiles at startup.
Otherwise only the defined default profile for the Generic PnP Monitor will
be loaded for both monitors.

I think the Spyder software doesn't know how to deal with 2 separate cards -
few, if any, would use it that way. Probably this is a bug rather than by
design.

If you remove one of the 280s and connect both monitors to the remaining
card the Spyder software should be able to do what you want. I know several
who use the Spyder successfully with separate profiles on 2 monitors
attached to a single card and have done so myself.

Without the Spyder software loading at startup, the separate profiles will
not be loaded into the card(s) since the Spyder Utility does the loading and
checks that the recalibration period has not expired.