Vista...? Proceed with caution!

Old January 4th 07, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Peter M

Default Vista...? Proceed with caution!

AllofMp3 is in it's own hot water at the moment with other like sites no
doubt to follow.

US Music Publishers Sue AllofMP3 for $1.65 Trillion
By Scott M. Fulton, III, BetaNews
December 21, 2006, 6:44 PM
In a move curious only due to its relatively late timing, the major record
production labels in the US have filed suit in federal court against Russian
online music distributor AllofMP3.com, seeking $150,000 USD for each single
violation of copyright infringement for tracks the site posted without
authorization.

"ChrisM" wrote in message
Hi Andre,

I don't really understand your point. I know that DRM rears its ugly head
in many places these days, and certainly not least Apple and iPod etc.
However, the effects of this are fairly minimal, and can be fairly easily
go around if required (eg by using MP3s and not AAC files, and using
AllOfMP3 rather than iTunes)

Old January 5th 07, 12:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Roscoe

Gee, when I read "The Vista Content Protection specification could very well
constitute the
longest suicide note in history" I just had to install Vista. I like to live
on the edge.

JT

"ChrisM" wrote in message

Not sure how much of this is true, but I believe most of it is, and even
if only 1/4 is true, it's enough to make me think twice or even thrice
about going anywhere near Vista for a long time yet...

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...vista_cost.txt

Executive Summary
-----------------

Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order
provide content protection for so-called "premium content", typically HD
data
from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs
considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability,
technical
support overhead, and hardware and software cost. These issues affect not
only users of Vista but the entire PC industry, since the effects of the
protection measures extend to cover all hardware and software that will
ever
come into contact with Vista, even if it's not used directly with Vista
(for
example hardware in a Macintosh computer or on a Linux server). This
document
analyses the cost involved in Vista's content protection, and the
collateral
damage that this incurs throughout the computer industry.

Executive Executive Summary
---------------------------

The Vista Content Protection specification could very well constitute the
longest suicide note in history [Note A].

--
Regards,
Chris.

Old January 5th 07, 12:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Roscoe

No kidding. When you can download songs at .06 a pop, you gotta think
something is not quite kosher.

Old January 5th 07, 02:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Howard Kelley

Those who want to rob banks are always going to find a way of doing
it...therefore should we not lock up the banks at night? I realize having
tellers in the bank inconvenience and cost innocent people who otherwise
should be able to bank on the honor system. DRM is not evil..neither are
locks.

"ChrisM" wrote:
.....All it (Vista) is going to do is inconvenience and cost innocent
people. Those that want to make illegal copies are always going to find ways
of doing it...

Old January 5th 07, 07:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Hertz_Donut

"Alias" wrote in message
Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin] wrote:
Apple also uses DRM in their software, how you think they got Hollywood
and the Music Industry to sell their stuff through through the iTunes
Store? Also, Apple also locks into its own DRM technology for example the
proprietary AAC codec the iPod uses.

I guess that leaves Linux.

Alias

No, it just means that there are still idiots that think Linux is the
answer...

Honu

Old January 5th 07, 09:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Paul-B

Hertz_Donut wrote:

"Alias" wrote in message
Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin] wrote:
Apple also uses DRM in their software, how you think they got
Hollywood and the Music Industry to sell their stuff through
through the iTunes Store? Also, Apple also locks into its own
DRM technology for example the proprietary AAC codec the iPod
uses.

I guess that leaves Linux.

Alias

No, it just means that there are still idiots that think Linux is
the answer...

Honu

Tell us what the question is and we can then see if, indeed, Linux is
the answer.

For instance, if the question were to be "What o/s can I install which
is free, quick and easy to install, fast, has bundled with it apps
which can be used to run an average office workstation, and can run on
a minimum-spec pc" what, I wonder would the answer be?

I know one thing it wouldn't be, and that is "Any flavour of Windows".

--
Paul-B
Old January 5th 07, 10:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Hertz_Donut

"Paul-B" wrote in message
Hertz_Donut wrote:

"Alias" wrote in message
[...]

Okay, here is a question:

What OS can I install the does not require me to hunt for drivers for my
hardware, does not require the knowledge and use of arcane commands, and can
run the 70,000 + software programs currently available for the Windows
platform?

Would you honestly recommend Linux to someone who uses the crutch of AOL?

Linux, while it has it's place, is definitely not a candidate to replace
Windows.

Honu.

Old January 5th 07, 10:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Alias

Hertz_Donut wrote:
"Paul-B" wrote in message
Hertz_Donut wrote:

"Alias" wrote in message
[...]

Ubuntu.

does not require the knowledge and use of arcane commands,

Ubuntu.

and can
run the 70,000 + software programs currently available for the Windows
platform?

There are more for the Ubuntu platform, all free, unlike most of what's
written for Windows.

Would you honestly recommend Linux to someone who uses the crutch of AOL?

Ubuntu, yes.

Linux, while it has it's place, is definitely not a candidate to replace
Windows.

Honu.

Where have you been, under a rock? Try Ubuntu and see if you feel the
same way. Linux isn't just for geeks anymore.

Alias
Old January 5th 07, 10:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Alias

"ChrisM" wrote:
....All it (Vista) is going to do is inconvenience and cost innocent
people. Those that want to make illegal copies are always going to find ways
of doing it...

To whom are you replying?

Alias