To turn off your computer or leave it on?

Old January 12th 09, 03:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bob Newman

Default To turn off your computer or leave it on?

Is there a way to have you cke and eat too in answer to the greatest
computer question of all time? Can you set a Vista computer to turn itself
off and back on again at predetrminted times?

Thanks... Bob

Old January 12th 09, 05:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bob Newman

First let me say that I use my computer a total of about 3-4 hours a day and
have always left it on. I ask this question primarily because we are adding
a second computer for my wife who will probably use it about 1/2 of that
time. Here are a few agreements for each option although I am not
interested in debating them in this thread.

On:
A. I can't stand waiting forever to finish booting up
B. Life of components (I've heave agreements both way on this on)
C. Run a back-up program at night while computer is not in use

Off:
A. Life of components (I've heave agreements both way on this on)
B. A restart now and then is good for the system
C. Energy consumption

Bob

Old January 12th 09, 07:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Andy

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:13:21 -0500, "Bob Newman"
wrote:

Is there a way to have you cke and eat too in answer to the greatest
computer question of all time? Can you set a Vista computer to turn itself
off and back on again at predetrminted times?

Use scheduled tasks to put the computer into sleep/hibernation and
wake up from same.

Thanks... Bob

Old January 12th 09, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Richard Urban

You can set the computer to turn off after X number of seconds, counted from
when it was started (shutdown command auto run at startup).

Turning ON the computer automatically depends upon what options are
available in the bios. Some have it, some don't.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old January 12th 09, 02:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Synapse Syndrome[_2_]

Richard Urban wrote:

top-posting macro corrected

Is there a way to have you cke and eat too in answer to the greatest
computer question of all time? Can you set a Vista computer to turn
itself off and back on again at predetrminted times?

You can set the computer to turn off after X number of seconds, counted
from when it was started (shutdown command auto run at startup).

Turning ON the computer automatically depends upon what options are
available in the bios. Some have it, some don't.

You can turn on modern ACPI compliant machines using Task Scheduler, even
when there is no BIOS option to turn it on a specified time.

ss.

Old January 12th 09, 03:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
measekite

"Bob Newman" wrote in message
Is there a way to have you cke and eat too in answer to the greatest
computer question of all time? Can you set a Vista computer to turn
itself off and back on again at predetrminted times?

Thanks... Bob

I do not believe you have asked the greatest computer question of all time.
Please research and then post the real computer question of all time.

Old January 12th 09, 04:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Richard in AZ

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message ...
sgopus wrote:

Is there a way to have you cke and eat too in answer to the greatest
computer question of all time? Can you set a Vista computer to turn
itself off and back on again at predetrminted times?

nope

Wrong.

ss.

And your support for this answer is?