slimtype dvdrw-ssm-8515s ATA Device Stopped Reading disks

Old January 12th 09, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aaron Dorner

Default slimtype dvdrw-ssm-8515s ATA Device Stopped Reading disks

Hi everyone! Maybe somone will be able to help me out! I have a aspire
5610z notebook with Vista on it! About a year ago i had to do a
complete reboot on it! Well when i did my slimtype dvdrw-ssm-8515s ATA
Device quit reading cds or dvds! Now when i check the device manger it
tells me the drive is working properly! What I really wanted to know is
if my drive is DEAD!!!!!!!!!!

When I put a cd in it starts up and sounds normal spinning, nothing
ginding or out of the ordinary except it will just continue to stop and
spin stop and spin like its not finding anything on the cd! It does
this to both cd's and dvds. My computer is only 2 yrs old now and i
thought my drive would last longer than that! Is it possible the driver
is not correct! or did the laser lens burn up! I don't know!

If I have to replace the drive what should I replace it with! I can't
find anything on the manufactures website that can tell me where or what
to buy. I would like to know what its gonna cost to repair! or if i can
do it myself! If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

--
Aaron Dorner
Old March 18th 09, 06:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
no1

Hey I think ive got the same problem - my Acer Aspire 9300 has been fine
for about 2 years or so but now the DVD-RW drive will only read/write
CD-ROM/CD-Rs.
I am suspecting its the laser.

--
no1