Want to Move /User and /Program Files folders

Old January 13th 09, 02:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
[email protected]

Default Want to Move /User and /Program Files folders

I want to prepare an existing setup for solid state drives. I want to
make my C: drive as read only as possible. I would like to move the
contents of /User and /Program Files off of the C: drive to new empty
drives and mount point these to the new drives.

I believe that I need to do this while booted from either a
maintenance partition or a recovery boot of some sort.

I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.

Can this operation be performed from an emergency recovery boot? Will
it be possible to retain or recover my security settings of the moved
items? If I have to perform this while booted from a maintenance
partition, would there be a chance of misdirection with the mountpoint
since the drives and partitions would be ordered or numbered
differently while booted from an alternate drive?

Thanks for the time and help.

-john

ps. I remember doing similar with windows 2000. I moved my /Program
Files folder onto a larger drive while booted from a maintenance
partition. The resulting setup worked very well.