Vista 64-bit and WD MyBook World edition

Old January 14th 09, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BrianB

Default Vista 64-bit and WD MyBook World edition

I have a home network workgroup consisting of three PCs running Windows XP
Pro SP3 32-bit, 1 PC running Vista Enterprise 32-bit, and one running Vista
Home Premium 64-bit. I also have a Western Digital MyBook World Edition NAS
drive on the network. Mionet is installed on one of the XP PCs.

Before I added the Vista 64 PC, the WD drive worked just fine and was very
stable. Once I added the Vista 64 PC and finally got it to even see the WD,
it worked for a few hours than the WD left the network. None of the PCs
could connect to it. The power button on the WD didn't respond. I had to
unplug the WD to regain control of it. WD tech supports response was "We
haven't tested any of our NAS drives with any 64-bit OS." That's all their
help. (As an aside, the WD WB seems to have the slowest data transfer speeds
around. It's rated for GB networks, but on a GB network it seems to max out
at about 1/4 the speed of a USB2 external drive.)

I've given up on the WD. Does anyone know of a NAS drive around 1 TB in
capacity that can handle RAID 1 and/or 5 that works with Vista Home Premium
64-bit and the other OS's that I have? Even better would be one that has a
good data transfer speed on a GB network.

Thank you
Brian Bygland

Old January 14th 09, 07:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BrianB

Yes. WD Anywhere Access (MioNet) will not install on a 64-bit OS and WD is
not admitting that one will be available.

Old March 27th 09, 09:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David Ellem

Hi - i have the same problem
Have been using a WD Mybook World Edition 1TB for a year with Windows
XP. No Problems. I have not installed and do not use MIONET.

I have added a new third machine to my network running Vista 64 bit and
now after an hour or so all computers loose connection...seems it is
only if the Vista machine is running at the time

Would appreciate suggestions of any better networkable external
drives.. would like to move away from WD Mybook

David Ellem

--
David Ellem
David Ellem's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/85676.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old June 6th 09, 11:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
oudoulj

I've just bought a Western Digital My Book World Edition (white light)
and also have had problems keeping it connected on my Windows 7 build
7127 *64-bit* laptop.
I found this topic and a couple of others stating that the MBWE does
not seem to like 64-bit OS.

I changed my OS to Windows 7 build 7201 *32-bit* and although it's only
been for a few hours, it seems not to be so stable either :-/
Just now Windows tried to download a device driver and failed :
"-Device driver software was not successfully installed-"
So I don't know if it's 32/64-bit OS related or if it's just that MBWE
does not work well under Windows 7.

I also have a desktop running Windows XP SP3 32-bit but since I don't
use it much, it's hard to say if it's much more stable so I won't draw
any conclusion on that part.
If you guys have any update on this stability issues, please post here

--
oudoulj
oudoulj's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/103429.htm