Vista Banter

-   -   Segate 1.5TB Not Recognized (http://www.vistabanter.com/151895-segate-1-5tb-not-recognized.html)

Bonanza January 14th 09 06:49 PM

Segate 1.5TB Not Recognized

I just purchased a Segate 1.5TB sata drive (ST31500341AS) from Newegg
for a great price of $129.00 w/free shipping. The problem is that
Vista64 Home Premium does not show the drive in the Disk Management
utility. I have several 1TB drives from Seagate (ST31000340AS) which
work fine. I’ve connected the new drive to a Sata cable which worked OK
with a 300G drive so the port is enabled in the BIOS. I don’t think I
see the new drive as the PC is booting because the screen with that
information goes by so quickly – but I’m 99% sure it is not listed.
Folks on the Newegg site mentioned issues with the firmware but mine is
even newer than the revision that reportedly fixed previous issue.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Core2 Quad Q9450
4GB DDR2-1066

Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda
Model: ST31500341AS
P/N: 9JU138-301
FW: CC1G
Date Code: 09212

--
Bonanza

David B.[_3_] January 14th 09 07:07 PM

Segate 1.5TB Not Recognized

Have you entered BIOS setup to see if the drive is listed there?

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

"Bonanza" wrote in message

[...]

Date Code: 09212

--
Bonanza

Richard G. Harper [MVP] January 15th 09 02:11 AM

Segate 1.5TB Not Recognized

What does the Disk Management tool say? The drive likely needs to be
partitioned and formatted before Windows will see it.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Desktop]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

"Bonanza" wrote in message

[...]

Date Code: 09212

--
Bonanza

Bonanza[_2_] January 15th 09 05:48 PM

Segate 1.5TB Not Recognized

The disk management tool was not seeing the drive, nor was the BIOS.
Last night I moved the drive to the Sata ports connected to the Intel
ICH10R and it works. The other sata controller Sil5723 (which is what I
had it connected to before, and had been able to recognize a 300G drive)
apparently does not support this new drive. So my problem is fixed,
although I'm not totally satisfied with the solution since it limits my
connectivity and I have no for free sata ports on the ICH10R controller
for future expansion.

--
Bonanza