RAM Upgrade

Old January 15th 09, 02:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bundy115

Default RAM Upgrade

Hello,

I have done several searches for this question with no luck so I apologize
now if it is a repeat.

I am running Windows Vista x64 SP1. When I installed the OS my computer had
4GB RAM installed. I have just upgraded to 8GB and enabled the "memory
remap" feature in the system BIOS.

When I view system settings indeed the system reports 8.00 GB memory. My
questions are as follows;

1. I have read in a number of places on the web that even running vista x64
if RAM is upgraded from 4.00 GB or less to over 4.00 GB then the OS must be
re-installed. Is this a correct statement? I really do not want to have to
pave my system and re-install everything!

2. Will a 32bit application installed on vista x64 be able to take
advantage of this extra memory? I am running Adobe After Effects CS4 (a 32
bit app). When it starts it reports that it is using 4.00 GB RAM (only
reported 3.1 GB with 4GB RAM installed) but under memory preferences it shows
8GB available. Why is this?

Thanks very much in advance.

--
Bundy115
Old January 15th 09, 02:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Night Hawk

Bundy115;939887 Wrote:
[...]

1)The problems seen with the 64bit editions of Vista is when errors
come up while having more then 2 or 3gb of memory installed. To correct
that you remove all but 2gb until after Windows is on and running.

Simply adding more memory doesn't require any full reinstall of Windows
as long as the edition supports the amount. For instance the Ultimate
64bit edition supports a higher amount then the Home Basic or Home
Premium editions.

2)With 4gb installed the Windows taskmanager will report some 3.5gb
total since roughly 515mb is automatically mapped out to hardwares. You
could have 100gb on and still only see the 3.5gb or so utilized due to
the limitations on the 32bit kernel itself. No it wouldn't see any
advantage.

--
Night Hawk
Old January 15th 09, 03:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bundy115

Thanks for the reply. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 so I know it will
support 8.00GB RAM. My question is can a 32 bit application installed on
Vista Ultimate x64 with 8GB RAM address more than 4GB (i.e. is a 32 bit
application limited by 32 bit addressing on a 64 bit OS)?

Thanks

--
Bundy115

Old January 15th 09, 03:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Louie Kapp

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:11:01 -0800, Bundy115
wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 so I know it will
support 8.00GB RAM. My question is can a 32 bit application installed on
Vista Ultimate x64 with 8GB RAM address more than 4GB (i.e. is a 32 bit
application limited by 32 bit addressing on a 64 bit OS)?

I do believe that it's Windows that does the addressing, not the
individual application.
Old January 15th 09, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Night Hawk

Bundy115@xxxxxx wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 so I know it

will
support 8.00GB RAM. My question is can a 32 bit application installed

on
Vista Ultimate x64 with 8GB RAM address more than 4GB (i.e. is a 32

bit
application limited by 32 bit addressing on a 64 bit OS)?

I do believe that it's Windows that does the addressing, not the
individual application.

That would be the 32bit kernel itself. Any typical 32bit application
will simply use what it needs for it's processes. If you were working
with large CAD projects or some other large memory hungry softwares then
you see where it would use larger amounts of ram to start with.

Someone recently pointed out seeing a CAD project easily chew up some
5gb of memory while having 8gb installed.

--
Night Hawk
Old January 15th 09, 01:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

A 32 bit application can not address more 4GB since the maximum number that
can be stored is 32 bits is 4GB.
Vista64 bit is a 64 bit application so it's performance is better can
perform operations in support of 32 bit application such as data transfers
faster.
The following link discuses some BIOS settings that you may need to to
change to resolve your issue.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us