Sound missing after RAM upgrade.

Old July 7th 09, 02:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Default Sound missing after RAM upgrade.

Are the memories a matched pair, or were they purchased separately?
When you say "IT hasn't found any..." what does "it" refer to.
Did you check the MSI or realtek website for updated sound drivers,
preferably the MSI website?

"Mato TNT" wrote in message

Yes, it is DDR 2 memory.
I have just two slots for memory, so I tried to put there 2x2 GB.
I havenīt reinstalled the sound card drivers, because it hasnīt found
any.

--
Mato TNT

Old December 29th 09, 01:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Thermomax

Another installed RAM no sound problem
------------------------
My specs:

iXtreme X2711 Packard Bell BV
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit Operating system
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
4.00GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce8500 GT

------------------------

I have had quite a search for a good solution to my problem but I have
not found any satisfactory answers yet.

I have have installed 2X 2GB RAM of memory DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz and I
get the "No Audio Output Device is installed" from the volume icon in
the taskbar bottom right corner.

On changing back to 2X 1GB of RAM the sound returns, but if i put the
2GB modules in then on restart the sound disappears.

Going to device manager and trying "Scan for hardware changes" has no
effect infact the sound driver has disappeared altogeter (it usually
shows "Realtek High Definition Audio" under "Sound, Video and game
controllers".)

System restore does not work either.

I also tried adding legacy hardware and installing the Realtek driver
again; Realtek driver on the system caused bluescreen crashes and
downloading the latest driver installs but on the device manager shows
"This device cannot start. (Code 10)" Enabling and disabling the driver
has no effect.

I had some thoughts would upgrading to a 64bit OS such a Windows 7
64bit work? Also maybe I am not providing enough power. If not how would
I change that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Thermomax

--
Thermomax

quid pro quo

Old December 29th 09, 04:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Walraven[_3_]

Try looking in your BIOS setting again for anything that looks like a
reservation of space at the high end of memory. In general nearly 1GB of
memory needs to be reserved for physical devices (on board audio for
instance) which leaves somewhat more than 3 GB available to VISTA (or any 32
bit system). For most BIOS's the reservation is done automatically, but
perhaps in your case that has been overridden or the reservation needs to be
set manually.

Michael

Old December 29th 09, 02:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Thermomax[_2_]

Michael Walraven;1628236 Wrote:
[...]

As far as I can tell there are no options in my bios to change the
memory amounts would it help if I wrote out what options it gives?

--
Thermomax

quid pro quo

Old December 29th 09, 03:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Walraven[_3_]

I looked on the maker's web site at the BIOS pages and also don't see
anything about memory allocation.

Check that you have the latest BIOS upgrade, the maker's web site has P11
4/1/2008 as the latest.

The site says about P10 BIOS :

P10 Fixed an issue with sound when 4GB of memory are installed on the
motherboard.

Michael

Old December 29th 09, 10:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Thermomax[_3_]

Michael Walraven;1628441 Wrote:
[...]

Fantastic It worked Thank you.

Just incase anyone else has the identical problem I downloaded the
latest bios upgrade from the Packard bell website. Ran the setup program
which requires you to copy the bios to cd. Put the cd in when you
startup the computer and the bios loads. Follow on screen instructions
and you have sound.

Thanks again to Michael Walraven

--
Thermomax