Admin user vs. Standard user

Old January 17th 09, 11:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
bjm[_7_]

Default Admin user vs. Standard user

Please see http://tinyurl.com/9wtha7

--
bjm

Old January 18th 09, 12:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
bjm[_8_]

Now, how do we bring the thread back to my original issue... Please see
'Admin user vs. Standard user' (http://tinyurl.com/7wmmun)

--
bjm

Old January 18th 09, 01:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ken Blake, MVP

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:24:31 +0000, bjm
wrote:

To: Steve Thackery

this is copy/paste of my original post

::-Q: ON A COMPUTER WITH ONE AND ONLY ONE USER. DOES THE STANDARD
ACCOUNT OFFER ANY ADDITIONAL PROTECTION BEYOND ~ PROTECTING ME FROM
MYSELF~
DOES A ONE USER COMPUTER HAVE ANY MORE PROTECTION AND SECURITY USING A
CREATED STANDARD USER ACCOUNT VS. USING THE DEFAULT ADMIN USER ACCOUNT
RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED
BJM
I DID NOT TYPE IT CAPS AND AS I'M VIEWING IT NOW IT'S NOT CAPS.

::-

It's all caps here, just as it was in your original message.
Regardless of how you typed it, all caps is how it went out to the
newsgroup. It happened at *your* end, not at our end.

I can't tell you how it happened, but if you didn't type it that way,
it was the fault of vBulletin USENET gateway, one of those services
that leech newsgroup posts, and which I strongly recommend against.
You're posting to a Microsoft newsgroup, and you should do so
directly, not through such a leeching service.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old January 18th 09, 05:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
bjm[_9_]

wrote:

To: Steve Thackery

[...]

OK I'll be happy to stop. This was my first post to this Forum and I
am posting from the website and that's all I can offer. I have no idea
what a leeching service is.
Since my browser and ISP are not compatible. I offer an apology to all
concerned. My issue was ignored and my erroneously perceived offensive
shouting became the content of the thread. Sorry, I caused such hurt
feelings. I have no idea what a vBulletin USENET gateway is.
Respectfully submitted
bjm
I request the Forum administrator purge my email and user ID.

--
bjm

Old January 18th 09, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bruce Chambers

bjm wrote:
To: Steve Thackery

this is copy/paste of my original post

::-Q: ON A COMPUTER WITH ONE AND ONLY ONE USER. DOES THE STANDARD
ACCOUNT OFFER ANY ADDITIONAL PROTECTION BEYOND ~ PROTECTING ME FROM
MYSELF~
DOES A ONE USER COMPUTER HAVE ANY MORE PROTECTION AND SECURITY USING A
CREATED STANDARD USER ACCOUNT VS. USING THE DEFAULT ADMIN USER ACCOUNT
RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED
BJM
I DID NOT TYPE IT CAPS AND AS I'M VIEWING IT NOW IT'S NOT CAPS.
::-

And it is in all upper case (caps) letters.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Old January 18th 09, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bruce Chambers

Christopher R. Lee wrote:
I don't suppose I'm the only user who regularly downloads executables. It's
a real pain if you have to change username every time.

One doesn't need to change usernames or switch accounts to download
executables. Now, if you were downloading and executing at the same
time, it might be necessary to use an account with elevated privileges,
but this is, to my thinking a very unwise action. Executables should be
downloaded and saved to a save location, and first scanned for malware
before being executed.

Anyway, even an administrator account doesn't let you do normal things like
changing file/directory attributes.

It does for me.

Finally, Windows obsessively directs users to individual user storage areas, ...

Only if you allow it to do so. *You* control where Windows saves files.

Old January 18th 09, 05:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bruce Chambers

bjm wrote:
Mr. Chambers,
Please permit me to continue our dialog Admin vs. Standard. I thought
with the Vista OS (which has a hidden system Admin account) that the
user default Admin account and the user created Standard account are
both LUA (Limited User Account/Access) accounts. I thought the only
difference under the hood between the two is that user Admin allowed
click through for UAC prompts and user Standard required password for
UAC prompts.

No, the administrative accounts, while somewhat limited for some
purposes, still have greater control and access than limited user
accounts, even with UAC.

Further, UAC, while a good step in the direction of greater security,
is not a bullet-proof defense. It's an aid, not a cure-all. It's
presence doesn't absolve the user of all responsibility for practicing
safe hex. Standard security precautions shouldn't be discarded, placing
blind faith in a relatively new (for Microsoft) technology.

Windows Vista Features Explained: User Account Control
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ntcontrol.mspx

How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708/en-us