Admin user vs. Standard user

Old January 17th 09, 05:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
bjm[_3_]

Default Admin user vs. Standard user

::-Microsoft recommends everyone setup and use a Standard user account
to enhance protection....
-::"The 'standard account' (http://tinyurl.com/7bcng3) can help
protect your computer by preventing users from making changes that
affect everyone who uses the computer. We recommend creating a standard
account for each user".::-
Q: ON A COMPUTER WITH ONE AND ONLY ONE USER. DOES THE STANDARD ACCOUNT
OFFER ANY ADDITIONAL PROTECTION BEYOND ~ PROTECTING ME FROM MYSELF~
DOES A ONE USER COMPUTER HAVE ANY MORE PROTECTION AND SECURITY USING A
CREATED STANDARD USER ACCOUNT VS. USING THE DEFAULT ADMIN USER ACCOUNT
RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED
BJM

::-

--
bjm

Old January 17th 09, 05:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bruce Chambers

bjm wrote:
::-Microsoft recommends everyone setup and use a Standard user account
to enhance protection....
-::"The 'standard account' (http://tinyurl.com/7bcng3) can help
protect your computer by preventing users from making changes that
affect everyone who uses the computer. We recommend creating a standard
account for each user".::-
Q: ON A COMPUTER WITH ONE AND ONLY ONE USER. DOES THE STANDARD ACCOUNT
OFFER ANY ADDITIONAL PROTECTION BEYOND ~ PROTECTING ME FROM MYSELF~
DOES A ONE USER COMPUTER HAVE ANY MORE PROTECTION AND SECURITY USING A
CREATED STANDARD USER ACCOUNT VS. USING THE DEFAULT ADMIN USER ACCOUNT
RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED
BJM

::-

Routinely using a computer with administrative privileges is not
without some risk. You will be much more susceptible to some types of
malware, particularly adware and spyware. While using a computer with
limited privileges isn't the cure-all, silver bullet that some claim it
to be, any experienced IT professional will verify that doing so
definitely reduces that amount of damage and depth of penetration by the
malware. If you do happen to get infected/infested while running as an
administrator, the odds are much greater that any malware will be
extremely difficult, if not impossible, to remove with formating the
hard drive and starting anew. The intruding malware will have had the
same (administrative) privileges to all of the files on your hard drive
that you do.

A technically competent user who is aware of the risks and knows
how to take proper precautions can usually safely operate with
administrative privileges; I do so myself. But I certainly don't
recommend it for the average computer user.

Further, the built-in Administrator account was never intended to
be used for day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to
rename the account, set a strong password on it, and use it only to
create another account for regular use, reserving the Administrator
account as a "back door" in case something corrupts your regular
account(s).

Also, please unstick your CapsLock key. Posting in all caps, as
you have done, is the Usenet equivalent of shouting, and is considered
very rude by a large number of people. More importantly, posting in all
caps makes the post harder to read, further reducing your chances of
getting help; a great many people won't even try to read such a message.
If you really want help, simply comply with the dictates of common
courtesy and the conventions of the venue.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Old January 17th 09, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
bjm[_4_]

Mr. Chambers,
thank you for your time and interest in my issue...
Also, please unstick your CapsLock key. Posting in all caps, as
you have done, is the Usenet equivalent of shouting, and is considered
very rude by a large number of people. More importantly, posting in
all
caps makes the post harder to read, further reducing your chances of
getting help; a great many people won't even try to read such a
message.
If you really want help, simply comply with the dictates of common
courtesy and the conventions of the venue.
-Please view my original post. I was not shouting. Somehow in your
reply/quote process part of my original post went all caps. My original
post was not caps. I may be new to this Forum but I am aware
of Forum protocol.

Respectfully submitted

bjm-

--
bjm

Old January 17th 09, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Steve Thackery[_2_]

My original
post was not caps.

It was - from the section beginning "Q:" onwards.

Respectfully,

SteveT
Old January 17th 09, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
bjm[_5_]

Mr. Chambers,
Please permit me to continue our dialog Admin vs. Standard. I thought
with the Vista OS (which has a hidden system Admin account) that the
user default Admin account and the user created Standard account are
both LUA (Limited User Account/Access) accounts. I thought the only
difference under the hood between the two is that user Admin allowed
click through for UAC prompts and user Standard required password for
UAC prompts.
Please comment
(no part of this post was typed shouting)
Respectfully submitted
bjm

--
bjm

Old January 17th 09, 08:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Christopher R. Lee[_2_]

I don't suppose I'm the only user who regularly downloads executables. It's
a real pain if you have to change username every time.

Anyway, even an administrator account doesn't let you do normal things like
changing file/directory attributes.

Finally, Windows obsessively directs users to individual user storage areas,
making the data (theoretically) inacessible when you change username. Worse,
since user storage area names aren't the names of real directories, backup
is difficult, and you are likely to lose all your data if and when you
change computers or get rid of this OS.

Regards

"Bruce Chambers" a écrit dans le message de news:
bjm wrote:
[...]

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
Russell

Old January 17th 09, 08:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gordon[_5_]

"Christopher R. Lee" wrote in message
I don't suppose I'm the only user who regularly downloads executables. It's
a real pain if you have to change username every time.

Why do you "have to change username" to download executables? I download
executables all the time in my standard user account...

Anyway, even an administrator account doesn't let you do normal things
like changing file/directory attributes.

Of course it does - why do you think it doesn't?

Finally, Windows obsessively directs users to individual user storage
areas, making the data (theoretically) inacessible when you change
username.

Not at all - run Windows Explorer as Administrator.

Worse, since user storage area names aren't the names of real
directories,

Eh? Where did you get that lot of rubbish from? How is C:\Users\{My account
name}\Documents\ not a "real" directory?

backup is difficult,

No it's not - explain.

and you are likely to lose all your data if and when you change computers
or get rid of this OS.

I've NEVER lost data when changing from one OS to another.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Old January 17th 09, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gareth Erskine-Jones

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:16:03 -0000, "Gordon"
wrote:

"Christopher R. Lee" wrote in message
I don't suppose I'm the only user who regularly downloads executables. It's
a real pain if you have to change username every time.

Why do you "have to change username" to download executables? I download
executables all the time in my standard user account...

I suppose he might have meant downloading and installing programs,
which usually requires admin rights. A regular admin account when UAC
is enabled will have two security tokens - one used normally, and
without the rights to access sensitive areas, and one used (after the
UAC prompt has been clicked through) for admin tasks. A standard
account only has one security token and so when you try to install an
application to a sensitive area, will prompt for the credentials of an
administrative account.

Finally, Windows obsessively directs users to individual user storage
areas, making the data (theoretically) inacessible when you change
username.

Not at all - run Windows Explorer as Administrator.

Indeed - the built in security can be turned off. Rather foolish IMO,
but it can be done.

Worse, since user storage area names aren't the names of real
directories,

Eh? Where did you get that lot of rubbish from? How is C:\Users\{My account
name}\Documents\ not a "real" directory?

He didn't say it wasn't. He said the user storage area names aren't
the names of real directories. By default, a user will have a folder
called c:\users\username\documents...

...but try this - create an account, a regular one, just for testing.
Then create a folder somewhere on the PC and call it "NotDocuments",
e.g. d:\NotDocuments.

Log in using the new account, right click on Documents on the start
menu, choose properties, and on the location tab, use the move option
to change the directory to d:\NotDocuments.

Now, you still have the "Documents" user storage area which appears in
various places in explorer, but if you use cmd.exe you can see that
the real name of the folder is still d:\NotDocuments.

backup is difficult,

No it's not - explain.

and you are likely to lose all your data if and when you change computers
or get rid of this OS.

I've NEVER lost data when changing from one OS to another.

Copy a file containing multiple streams from an NTFS partition to a
Ext3 one. Does it still have multiple streams?

--
http://www.sgat-computing-services.co.uk/
Old January 17th 09, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
bjm[_6_]

To: Steve Thackery

this is copy/paste of my original post

::-Q: ON A COMPUTER WITH ONE AND ONLY ONE USER. DOES THE STANDARD
ACCOUNT OFFER ANY ADDITIONAL PROTECTION BEYOND ~ PROTECTING ME FROM
MYSELF~
DOES A ONE USER COMPUTER HAVE ANY MORE PROTECTION AND SECURITY USING A
CREATED STANDARD USER ACCOUNT VS. USING THE DEFAULT ADMIN USER ACCOUNT
RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED
BJM
I DID NOT TYPE IT CAPS AND AS I'M VIEWING IT NOW IT'S NOT CAPS.
::-

--
bjm

Old January 17th 09, 09:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Michael Walraven[_3_]

from a kibitzer:

the quote is in CAPS for me. (reading in Window Live Mail, newsreader part).
the sentence:
this is a copy/paste of my original post
is in lower case

viewing the message source show the same thing

Michael

To: Steve Thackery