Cant backup to apple time machine

Old January 19th 09, 09:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
taehC

Default Cant backup to apple time machine

Does anyone know how to backup to an Apple Time Machine? I clicked
backup files, then selected "on a network." I typed in
\\192.168.1.xx\Time Machine and tryed to connect. It said I needed
a username and password, but I have never needed a username for it...
Anyway, I used "admin"(i also tryed using another possible username but
got the same error) for username and my password, and i got an error
that says

The network share could not be accessed for the following reason:
The RPC server is unavailable. (0x800706BA)
Please ensure the network location is valid.

I know that it is valid because I can connect to it from "Computer" but
still i cant get it working. If i try using a completely wrong password
then it says that the password is bad. Can anyone help or suggest any
workarounds? Is there a way to make an iso of my windows partition and
copy that to the time drive?

--
taehC
Old January 20th 09, 12:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

taehC wrote:

[...]

Do you have Time Capsule or just an external hard drive connected to a Mac
that is used for Time Machine? If the latter, unless you created a separate
partition for storage (not used for Time Machine), you can't back up a
Windows machine there. Time Machine doesn't work with Windows.

Sharing files between a Mac and Vista is also possible but that's another
issue separate from Time Machine.

So please clarify what you are really doing and trying to do and I'll
attempt to help you further.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old January 21st 09, 04:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
taehC

I have the Time Capsule, and yes you can just drop files into the time
capsule. i can go to it from "computer" and have put files there, and
then got them off of another computer, it acts as a network hard drive,
i can even see my mac's backup.

--
taehC
Old January 21st 09, 11:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

taehC wrote:

I have the Time Capsule, and yes you can just drop files into the time
capsule. i can go to it from "computer" and have put files there, and
then got them off of another computer, it acts as a network hard drive,
i can even see my mac's backup.

Then the problem is that you haven't properly set up sharing between your
Mac(s) and your Vista machine. I'll give you the general information about
doing this but for specific help working with Time Capsule you need to post
to Apple's forums or contact Apple tech support. I don't use Time Capsule
so I can't help you myself.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

You need to create matching user accounts and passwords on the Vista box and
the Mac. You do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines
and the passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT
NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a
machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Automatically logging into your user account on the Mac is handled from the
Accounts applet in System Preferences.

Make sure you have set the firewalls on both machines to allow the Local
Area Network traffic as trusted.

For Windows sharing on the Mac, make sure you are using the SMB protocol and
not AFP.

Then you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:

Vista Business/Ultimate only -
Start OrbSearch boxtype: secpol.msc
When secpol.msc appears in Results above, right-click it and "run as
administrator".

Click on Local PoliciesSecurity Options

Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"
and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows Vista sets
the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down arrow to change
this to "LM and NTLM ? use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".

In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per MVP Steve Winograd:

Start OrbSearch boxtype: regedit
When regedit appears in the Results above, right-click it and "run as
administrator"

Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel

3. Set the value to 1

4. Reboot

Now sharing will work between Vista and the Mac.

Malke