System Restore VSS problems.

Old January 20th 09, 03:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
jedeco

Default System Restore VSS problems.

I have a restore point created each night as a scheduled task and they
all finish successfully but don't always show up as a choice in system
restore. (I start the system restore process just to see my restore
points, is there a better way!?) and sometimes the one created won't
show up, or all of sudden one day is missing and it's not the oldest
date, but the second or third newest.
Today i noticed that my task ran successfully but something triggered
it to start again 9 minutes later then failed. I am absolutely sure
there is only the one trigger for 1:30:00am so it's bizarre it tried to
run again 9 minutes after it completed successfully. Then i checked
my restore points and there were only TWO left out of 12. And the one
for the 19th was not one of them. just the 18th and 17th restore points
for 1:30:00am. Even though the 19th task did finished just fine before
it kicked off again and failed. 12 is as high as it goes as for number
of restore points on my machine, but my disc usage shown with *VSSADMIN
list shadowstorage* just keeps growing. It is at 15GB right now but I
only have those 2 restore points.
And files I change, then save and right click to choose restore
previous versions, and i do not get any shadow copy versions to
restore, even though there is still a restore point from 1/18 and one
from 1/17. I tested this before when i had more restore points and the
"restore previous versions" has never shown any shadow copies.
Does anyone have any insight into this and can you name all services
that need to be running for both shadow copy and the ability to restore
from shadow copy?
I turn off all services I know i don't need and am quite experienced
and work as a programming manager in IT. I'm not a hardware and OS guru
but I know enough what services can be turned off. the only one i
question and I tested turning it back on to no avail is the System
Service. At home i'm not on a network and don't need that
functionality. I've never had any problems with my XP box or the Vista
box up till now with Services service disabled.

thanks,
jerry

--
jedeco