External Hard Drive with e SATA

Old January 24th 09, 08:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
andy

Default External Hard Drive with e SATA

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:07:30 -0600, gemius
wrote:

Thank you for your comments but I'm still having problems. I found the
JMicron SATA settings in the BIOS and changed it to AHCI but when I re
booted the Ext Drive had disappeared from Computer and Disk Management.

Does the drive appear in Device Manager?

I changed it back to ADI and now I have the Drive back in them both.
I tried dragging and dropping a file into it and it worked so I don't
think there ie anything wrong with the drive or that it needs
Partitioning. However Live OneCare still won't write to it and while it
knows it's there it still says the drive is not connected!

Old January 25th 09, 07:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
gemius

Yes I believe it does. The internal and external drives are identical
and there are two identical drives shown under Disk Drives in the Device
Manager

--
gemius
Old January 31st 09, 03:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
gemius

If anyone is still following this thread it seems that Live OneCare
won't recognise an e SATA device as it can only see internal drives. The
following was posted elswhere in these Forums by StephenB LiveOneCare
Moderator.

-"The problem at this point is the eSATA drives are recognized as
internal drives
to the -'-operating system-
-[image: http://kona.kontera.com/javascript/l...y_loader.gif]-
' (http://www.vistax64.com/#)-in most cases, so OneCare sees them as
such, too. The
only way to use an internal drive as a OneCare backup destination is to
use
Centralized Backup from a hub PC and make a network Share on the eSATA
(or
actual internal) drive.
One day this limitation may be lifted if an eSATA drive can be
authoritatively
be identified as a removable drive".-
--
Looks like I'm staying with the good old USB for the time being.

Thanks for all your comments.

--
gemius
Old May 24th 09, 10:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave76

gemius;946345 Wrote:
Thanks for all your replies. I'm a little further on but still can't get
it to work!
I got the computer to recognise the external drive by booting with it
switched on. It now appears in Computer with my other drives. LiveOne
care also recognises it but it has (not connected) next to it, and it
will not write to it.
I looked at the settings in the BIOS and in the Main menu I
found.........
Configure SATA as [IDE] I changed this to [AHCI] but the computer just
went into a loop and wouldn't start so I had to change it back.
If it helps I don't have a RAID configuration.
Looking at the comment by DL perhaps I would be better looking for
another way to back up to the external drive than using Live OneCare?

I know this is an old thread, but thought someone searching for help
with this problem might find this answer helpful.

Had the same problem "Configure SATA as [IDE] I changed this to [AHCI]
but the computer just went into a loop and wouldn't start so I had to
change it back".
Found this procedure on another site and it worked for me.

If you load the right drivers, re-boot, catch your setup BIOS (F2 for
me) and change it to AHCI or RAID it will work.

Here's what I did to enable AHCI/RAID mode on my box:

1. Download and save the Intel Matrix Manager driver (from the Intel
site or your Computer manufactures site). Make a note of the folder
location where you save the driver.
2. Open up Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controller branch (may
be different on your machine)
3. Right-mouse click on either Intel(R) ICH9 Serial ATA Storage
Controller (I selected the 4 port, both entries will change after the
reboot at the end of this process) entry and select Properties
4. Go to the Driver tab, click the Update Driver button
5. Choose the Browse my computer for driver software option
6. Choose the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

7. Click on the Have Disk... button, browse to the location you saved
the Intel Matrix Manager driver in step 1 and click on iastor.inf
8. Click OK and select the Intel(R ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller
driver.
9. Complete the process to update the storage controller driver.
10. Restart the computer and press F2 (or your computers equivalent) to
enter the BIOS and enable RAID mode (changing it from IDE)

After the computer starts up in AHCI/RAID, you can install the Intel
Matrix Storage Manager Console application (from the Intel site or your
Computer manufactures site). You don't have to setup a RAID volume; the
Storage Manager Console will show the hard drive as a non-RAID volume.

Still can't get the 'Safely Remove Hardware' Icon for the eSATA
external HD. It will be found when you Hot Plug it, in explorer and
device manage, copies back and forth with no problems. It can be
unplugged by switching it off (power button on the external UD case), no
complaints from Vista, but I don't like doing that.
SATA is much faster that IDE, and the external HD is very fast compared
to USB.

I read somewhere that the JMicron RAID drivers might enable the 'Safely
Remove Hardware' Icon, but haven't tried it yet.

Good Luck...

--
Dave76
Old June 12th 09, 11:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave76

Update,

I have found a program that will let you 'Safely remove Hardware' or
'Safely Hotswap Hardware'.

It's working for me, you can get both 32bit and 64bit programs.

Check this Hot Swap site for details.
'HotSwap!' (http://mysite.verizon.net/kaakoon/hotswap/index_enu.htm)

Dave

--