CD/DVD problems with thumbnails

Old January 24th 09, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bobwhite1

Default CD/DVD problems with thumbnails

I'm using a Compaq-Presario SR5130NX desktop computer with Vista Home
Premium 32 bit. It came with a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L SCSI CdRom
Device (CD-ROM drive). The only problem I have is when I insert a CD
with photos on it, and open the folder, the thumbnails appear for a
brief instant then turn into the Generic Icon. That is the only problem,
everything else runs normally. I have installed every update, all checks
of the drive with pc doctor, trouble shooter show "this device is
working properly". Thinking perhaps the CD/DVD Rom was defective I
installed another device (Memorex double layer 16x cd internal cd
burner) Vista recognized it and installed it using the same drive as the
TSST corp cd Rom. I have the same results, a brief appearance of the
thumbnails then the generic icon. When I transfer the folder to my
C:drive and open the folder the thumbnails appear normally. I have made
sure that the option for "show icons only" is unchecked. I have
uninstalled and reenstalled the drive to no avail. I've used system
restore but that goes back only 2 days and this trouble started about a
month ago. I've had the computer for more then a year now. One other
thing when I use my Photo Suite program and open photos from the CD
thumbnails show up as they should. Now I have both cd/dvd devices
installed and recognized by vista and the problem exsists with both of
them and both are using the same drive provided by Microsoft dated
6/21/2006, version 6.0.6001.18000. I might add that I have gone through
everything HP has suggested including deleting the icon cache, cleaning
out thumbnail files, etc. Now they are sending me to this forum for
results so I thought I might just as well go directly to the source and
join. I have been to about 5 different forums including MS to no avail.
All the media I'm using has been checked out on other computers and work
fine. Once again everything is fine except for the disappearing
thumbnails on the cd/dvd drive.
Bob

--
bobwhite1