previously working USB devices now showing as "Unknown Device"

Old January 8th 07, 04:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
A L

Default previously working USB devices now showing as "Unknown Device"

Hello-

All of a sudden a few days ago, many of my USB devices started showing as
Unknown Devices in the Device Manager. I've read that this sometimes happens
in WinXP too- but no post that I found about the problem proposed a solution
(for Vista or XP.) If I disable the "Standard Enhanced PC to USB Host
Controller", the system then locates drivers for all of the devices, but runs
them in USB 1.1 (slow!) mode.

I'm seeing this for flash storage devices (thumb drives, flash card readers,
ipod), logitech quickcam 5000, plantronics USB headset etc. Oddly, my MS
Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 and APC UPS work fine!

Anyone know what to do?
I have a ton of USB devices defined in the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USB\ , but regedit does not
allow me to remove any of these.

I also unfortunately don't have a System Restore Point to back when my USB
devices were working.

If anyone has ideas for something to try, please post! Thanks, Al
Old January 8th 07, 04:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
A L

I'm basically having this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920875

except that the page has a hotfix for only XP and not Vista! Hmmm....

Old January 8th 07, 01:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mikeyhsd

have you tried uninstalling the ROOT HUBS, shutting down for 3-5 minutes,
rebooting and allowing the system to find and reinstall the USB devices.

Old January 10th 07, 06:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
A L

Thanks for the help. I did try uninstalling all the various USB devices in
the Device Manager multiple times. No luck. I ended up installing a spare
PCI USB 2 card I had and am able to connect everything through there instead
of the ports on my motherboard. Looks like MS has a fix for this problem in
XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920875

Hopefully they'll release a hotfix for Vista too. Al

ps- I have XP installed on another partition, the motherboard USB jacks work
fine there, so it's definitely have software issue I'm having.

Old February 27th 07, 02:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
A L

The set of patches that were released via Windows Updates the day that Vista
became available to consumers had the patch and it fixed my problem. I don't
remember the number unfortunately.