Group Policy Editor HELP :]

Old February 19th 09, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Emily Lavey

Default Group Policy Editor HELP :]

Hello... I have a problem with this. i am trying to open Group Policy
editor and i cant. i have done it the quick mode and also in
administrative tools edit group policy and it appears this message :
''MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\System32\gpedit.msc. This may be
because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created
by a later version of MMC. this may also be because you do not have
sufficiento acces rights to the file'' I am in an administrator account
and i have Windows Vista Home Premium .

Any help!

Thanks

--
Emily Lavey
Old February 19th 09, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Emily Lavey

and alsoo...!! i cant turn system restore off cause its disabled by
Group Policy so i have read that Group Policy doesnt come with Vista
Home premium :S how can i fix it????

--
Emily Lavey
Old February 19th 09, 07:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Malke[_2_]

Emily Lavey wrote:

Hello... I have a problem with this. i am trying to open Group Policy
editor and i cant. i have done it the quick mode and also in
administrative tools edit group policy and it appears this message :
''MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\System32\gpedit.msc. This may be
because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created
by a later version of MMC. this may also be because you do not have
sufficiento acces rights to the file'' I am in an administrator account
and i have Windows Vista Home Premium .

Vista Home editions do not have the Group Policy Editor. I see by your
second post in this thread that you are attempting to turn off System
Restore (why?).

How about posting a third time in this thread, and this time include *all*
the information about your computer and what you are trying to do. Here's
an example of what I'm talking about:

"I have an HP [model#] laptop running Vista Home Premium with no Service
Packs. Since [insert some time frame] it has [insert good description of
the problem]. I noticed this problem after [insert good description of what
changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't]. I have
[name of your antivirus/security programs] and scans showed [result].
Here's what I've already done to troubleshoot [insert that information]."

Then we'll be able to give you the focused help you'd like.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old February 19th 09, 08:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Dave[_29_]

The Home versions of Vista do not have the Policy Editor.

--
Windows 7 beta
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Old February 20th 09, 12:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Emily Lavey

Okai.... I have a Vaio Laptop and Windows Vista Home premium. I am in
administrator account. i am trying to turn system restore off cause a
trojan [Trojan.Brisv.A!inF] i hav the program to fix it but i need to
turn system restore off but is disabled by Group Policy, and i cant edit
Group Policy because the program isnt even there :s

any help?? thanks!!

--
Emily Lavey
Old February 20th 09, 10:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Mick Murphy

You will find that the Trojan is what is disabling your access to System
Restore.
It doesn't want you to remove it!

Scan your computer 1st, then turn off SR, rescan, then turn on System Restore.
You don't say what you are using to remove the Trojan.

If no joy with it, try the 2 Programs below:

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
Then SCAN with it.
Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Malwarebytes is as the name says, a Malware Remover!
For the Free version scroll down their page to either download from
Download.com, or Major Geeks.com

Download, install, and update.

Important Safe Mode
If you happen to find a problem that you can’t uninstall / delete, reboot
the computer, and go into Safe Mode.
To get into Safe mode, tap F8 right at Power On / Startup, and use UP arrow
key to get to Safe Mode from list of options, then hit ENTER.
RESCAN your computer with your Anti-Virus, Malwarebytes and Spybot S & D
while in Safe Mode.

--
Mad Mike

Old February 20th 09, 11:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Malke[_2_]

Emily Lavey wrote:

and alsoo...!! i cant turn system restore off cause its disabled by
Group Policy so i have read that Group Policy doesnt come with Vista
Home premium :S how can i fix it????

By removing the infection. Don't worry about System Restore until your all
the infections are gone.

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do
all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://tinyurl.com/yoeru3 - download link and more instructions

You can also check to see if there are targeted removal steps for your
malware he
Bleeping Computer removal how-to's -
Or he Malwarebytes malware removal guides - http://tinyurl.com/5xrpft

When all else fails, get guided help. Choose one of the specialty forums
listed at the first link. Register and read its posting FAQ. PLEASE DO NOT
POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

If you can't do the work yourself (and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea), take the machine to a professional computer repair
shop (not your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be
aware that not all local shops are skilled at removing malware and even if
they are, your computer may be so infested that Windows will need to be
clean-installed. If possible, have all your data backed up before you take
the machine into a shop.

Malke