restore pst file that has been split

Old February 25th 09, 08:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
magaparsec[_2_]

Default restore pst file that has been split

Was using: Outlook 2003 on a Windows Vista Home Edition desktop
Program: Backup and Restore was set for weekly backup of several
folders including my Outlook pst files to an external hardrive
Problem: trying to restore the pst files which Vista split across
several zip archives

I had a main pst file (my deliverable one) and several archive files
that were quite large. The computer crashed several times, but I had
always a
recent backup. Finally the computer had to be sent back and I no longer
have it. All of my backups seem intact, as I have been able to restore
all of my other data except for my pst files.

I think that the Vista Backup and Restore program broke up the pst
files into smaller chunks when it zipped them. I am trying to restore
them with a Windows XP laptop also running Outlook 2003.

I have tried:
unzipping the pst files and both importing and opening the pst files
into Outlook, Thunderbird and Eudora. Outlook opens it but nothing is
inside. Th and Eu won't read them.
SCANPST - tells me the pst files (which have .pst extensions) are not
pst files
extracting the pst's and copying them into one file in Command Prompt
using Copy /b outlook2*.pst outlookcopy.pst - this created the latter
file but it is also unreadable as a pst file.

Is it possible on a non-Vista machine to fix these files?

Many thanks for you help,
Maggie

--
magaparsec
Old February 25th 09, 11:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
DL

You would need to restore these files to an alternative location, eg
Documents folder.
If they have been split by a zip utility one of these files will be the
primary zip in the zip set and when unzipping should indicate it is part of
a split set and lead you to the other zip's in the set.
Whether you can underatke this by downloading/installing PKZip I could'nt
say. You may find you need the Vista backup tool to successfully restore
thes files.

You cannot combine the files you have unxipped, you need either PKZip or the
Vista backup utility

If you are successful in unzipping the files *ensure* you unzip them to an
alternative location, eg Documents folder. Do NOT install them to the
Outlook default location.
Then within Outlook, open them, NOT import

Old February 25th 09, 03:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Peter Foldes[_2_]

Why post this again. You got some pretty good answers especially from Hal who is an
MVP who also said the same as did DL here. Keep to your original post always

--
Peter

Old March 3rd 09, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
zlatan24[_9_]

Heard about good tool which restore pst file-'restore outlook'
(http://www.recoverytoolbox.com//outlook.html),yet it is free,it recover
data from Microsoft Outlook pst files, program can be also used to
recover information from Microsoft Exchange ost files and/or convert
them into Microsoft Outlook pst files,restore mail messages, tasks,
contacts, meetings, notes and logs in files with the .pst
extension,recover Outlook files and data from corrupted pst files of all
Microsoft Outlook mail clients, from Microsoft Outlook 97 to Microsoft
Outlook 2003,save the recovered information as files with the *.pst
extension, you should have the Microsoft Outlook 98 mail client or
higher installed on your computer,runs under all Windows operating
systems starting from Windows 98 (Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT,
Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows XP).

--
zlatan24

Old April 3rd 13, 11:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

If you tried all possible way and still haven't overcome then you are personally suggested to use one a third party tool, PST Repair Tool to restore PST file.

For more Info :http://inboxrepairtool.weebly.com