Any trick to installing a driver on a dead OS? (Turbo Memory probl

Old February 26th 09, 06:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
a.k.a.[_2_]

Default Any trick to installing a driver on a dead OS? (Turbo Memory probl

Hello everyone,

I'm afraid this may be an ignorant question, but I have a dead OS. How
exactly do I get a driver updated if the OS is dead?

There is a technical discussion behind this that I will only go into if
anyone is curious. There is an Intel engineer helping with this.

In a nutshell, the Turbo Memory cache got confused and now I cannot boot
from one of my HDDs. Since, as I discovered by accident, the TM Console is a
standalone executable, the TM seems to be confused about where the ReadyDrive
cache is, or where the HDD is. It's saying there's a 96GB cache, which is the
size of the HDD. I have found no way to reset the TM cache.

The TM is configured correctly in the registry, but when I boot I get no
kernel dump, because the BSOD is occurring too early in the boot process. (I
have only one machine, so can't set up any debugging process.) The error I
get is

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, 0xA (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8001A69086)

Further, TM is no longer showing up as a device in any of my other OSes,
even after installing the latest driver.

At this point, there is one element of Intel's proposed solution that I'm
able to do, which is to install the latest Matrix Storage Manager driver,
just to satisfy Intel that this isn't fixed. Hence the question.

Old February 27th 09, 06:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter Foldes[_2_]

Here you go. See which one will suit you

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Use
the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above. Technically, this
error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory
location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level
(IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes
that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)
a.. Troubleshooting “Stop 0x0A” Messages in Windows {KB 165863} Win NT, Win 2000,
Win XP
b.. Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A Error in Windows XP {KB 314063} Win XP
a.. Possible Resolutions to STOP 0x0A, 0x01E, and 0x50 Errors {KB 183169} Win NT,
Win 2000, Win XP
b.. During upgrade to Win XP {KB 311564} Win XP
c.. STOP 0x0000000A Error Message When You Change from AC Power to DC Power {KB
316676} Win XP
d.. “Stop 0x0000000A” Error Message When You Fast Switch Between Users {KB 310918}
Win XP
e.. While booting NT on same partition as Win 2000 or XP {KB 227301} Win NT, Win
2000, Win XP
f.. Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer {KB 311806}
g.. “Fatal System Error” When You Try to Use a Hewlett-Packard 5100C ScanJet {KB
307129} Win XP (with Brother printer)
h.. Computer May Hang During a Heavy Load with an Ericsson HIS Modem {KB 319810}
Win 2000, Win XP
i.. STOP 0x4E, STOP 0x1A, STOP 0x50, and STOP 0xA Errors Occur When You Try to
Start the Computer {KB 271955} Win NT 4.0 (corrupt physical RAM)
j.. “Stop: 0x0000000A (00000063, 0000001c, 00000000, parameter4)” error message on
a Windows 2000-based computer {KB 837384} Win 2000 (program error, hotfix available)
k.. How to Use Driver Verifier to Troubleshoot Windows Drivers {KB 244617} Win
2000, Win XP, Server 2003
l.. Error Message When Installing Windows Vista on a Computer With More Than 3 GB
of RAM: STOP 0x0000000A {KB 929777} Vista (update patch available)
m.. Randomly Stop 0xA Errors in Storport.sys When You Start Windows Vista {KB
930261} Vista (hotfix available)

--
Peter

Old February 27th 09, 11:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

Unless you can start the operating system, you cannot. Have you tried
starting in Safe Mode to see if you can get in then?

Old February 28th 09, 01:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
a.k.a.[_2_]

Default Any trick to installing a driver on a dead OS? (Turbo Memory p

Hi Peter, the answer is 'n' for 'none of the above.' If there is a culprit
here it's ianvstor.sys, which is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver. I
got that stop error just prior to the IRQL error. MSM is the part of the
Intel suite that governs the Turbo Memory.

Old February 28th 09, 06:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
a.k.a.[_2_]

Richard,

Thanks for the Safe Mode suggestion. That got me a bit further along in the
boot process, and as it's got a verbose boot mode, I was able to see that all
of the drivers loaded. But as soon as it got to the end of the driver loading
stage, it froze. I also tried the boot-logging mode (ntbtlog.txt), and I
could find no such file on the HDD afterwards. Nor is there a kernel dump.
It's just strange.

a.k.a.

Old March 2nd 09, 01:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
teknomedic

I'll admit that I seem to be in over my head here... BUT... if you have
access to another Vista install on the another computer... could you
simply remove the "bad OS HDD"... install it in another computer as a
slave... and then copy over the needed files from the working computer
(over writting the bad files) to the "bad OS HDD" so that it can boot
again????

Again... sorry if this doesn't help in any way... as I said, this seems
to be over my head.

I just suggest it as I've had to do this a few times when a boot file
had been corrupted.

Also.... would the Vista "repair" option on the install CD help in any
way???

--
teknomedic