SVCHOST.exe Keeps on Running and Ruins My Computers Performance!!...

Old March 2nd 09, 03:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ken[_18_]

Default SVCHOST.exe Keeps on Running and Ruins My Computers Performance!!...

What? Just google SVCHOST.exe, man. I'm not looking for a flame/troll war
with you.

It's a very prevalent and legit problem, and I've got it now. It's been
around for years and was thought eradicated in 2007, apparently, but its
back again.

I tried the fix they suggested and some other things I found, but asking
here, where there are some real experienced Windows users, in case you
hadn't noticed, seemed like a logical and practical step. I was right,
because I got a few really good solutions from the posters here.

"Sam Hobbs" wrote in message
Instead of expecting each of us to search in the manner you already have
(and should) you are more likely to get answers that are the result of
that information too if you include some relevant links to the "many". My
guess is that the other "many" either do have useful answers (that you
just don't want to hear) or the people trying to help are not qualified to
help with this. I challenge you to prove me wrong.

"Ken" wrote in message
First of all, run a search on svchost.exe and you'll find many with this
widely known problem. Many say it's a virus. Some blame it on a bug
within Vista that doesn't have a fix, although there is apparently a fix
for this same problem available for XP. When I installed the XP fix on
Vista it seemed to lessen it, but then it started again within 24 hours.
There are now reports that this fix no longer works for XP, either.

I quit predominantly using Linux in 1994, possibly before you started
using it, and studied Computer Science before there was a Linux, so I'm
not new to it, or to computers. This is a problem that has grown over the
past few years and I've got it right now on Vista. I need someone who is
sharp with Vista and computers to give me advice for handling this
situation.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote in message
Ken wrote:
This file called SVCHOST.exe is consuming my RAM, hard drive, CPU and
everything on my Vista machine to capacity use. I know the real one is
a necessary program, but there are many copies of this file working
simultaneously here and my performance is down to a crawl or a crash.
I've looked everywhere for a solution and have tried a couple to no
avail. I get no working answers from anyone.

Oh? Whom have you asked? Any experienced IT professionals?

Many, many other Windows users are getting this in massive amounts,
too, so it's not isolated to me.

Really? This is the first I've heard of Svchost.exe, in and of itself,
causing any problems. Rather, it's almost invariably something else,
even malware, that the computer user has installed and is hijacking the
service. However, I will concede that *blaming* Vista, rather than
seeking the actual cause of the issue, is definitely not isolated to
you.

Everything slows to a crawl often several times a day. I often have to
restart.

It's perfectly normal to have several instances of Svchost.exe
running simultaneously. This article specifically discusses WinXP, but
it still applies to Vista.

A Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP

You simply need to determine whether or not you have undesired programs
running in the background using Svchost. Try using Process Explorer
and/or AutoRuns to determine what you have running in the background:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...84cb9e2f5.aspx

I am told it might be one or more viruses that does this,

Yes, it's true that many sorts of malware can "hijack" the service. What
do your antivirus and anti-spyware applications have to report about the
situation?

.... and I've been told it might be an unfixed bug in Vista, but no
square answers.

If it's a bug in Vista, you're the first to discover it.

My scans and virus updates from Norton and MS haven't fixed this
problem.

Hint: try something more reliable than "Norton" or Vista's built-in
tools.

I am now seriously thinking of copying my whole disk to an outboard
memory and reintalling Linux on my machine instead of Windows Vista,

Honestly, if you can't manage to keep Vista running, you have no chance
at all of successfully using Linux. The very fact that you can claim
Svchost is consuming your hard drive indicates that you know far too
little about computers at this time. You'll face a very steep learning
curve trying to get any use out of Linux.

... as no one seems to want to address this issue in the Vista world,
even though it is obviously a very prevalent problem.

No one can really address an "issue" that is "prevalent" only in your
own imagination.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
Russell

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Old March 4th 09, 06:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Sam Hobbs[_2_]

I am certainly not trying to cause problems either.

I am saying that you could do something easy and convenient for you that
would help others help you. If it is easy for many of the people trying to
help to do, then it is easy for you too. If you sincerely want the best help
possible, then providing links as I suggest is something you would want to
do.

I have seen many messages from people asking for assistance; more than
10,000. I know that the quality of the question can directly influence the
quality and relevance of the answers.