USB Device Not Recognized...

Old February 28th 09, 04:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
teknomedic

Default USB Device Not Recognized...

As the title says... I'm troubleshooting a friends computer and can't
seem to get it working.

Basically, he's running Vista Home Prem 32bit. He just bought a new
Canon MP480 inkjet printer and everytime he plugs it into his laptop he
gets the "USB Device Not Recognized".

I tested his printer and cable on my laptop (Vista Ultimate 64bit) and
it IDs the printer and tries to install just fine. We're both running
SP1 and I just did a double check and I we're both fully up-to-date on
Windows update.

I've tried uninstalling the USB hardware and then doing new install of
the Intel chipset drivers.

I've tried "forcing" the driver install using "driver update", but
Vista just comes back and says "Driver for "unknown device" currently
has the best driver.

I've tried draining the laptops power

and I've tried a "driver inf cache" delete thing as well... still no
good.

Any thoughts??

--
teknomedic
Old February 28th 09, 08:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
kword88

here is the link to the driver on canon's website

'PIXMA MP480 Photo All-In-One Printer'
(http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=17160)

--
kword88
Old February 28th 09, 09:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
teknomedic

Thank you for the help, unfortunatly I've already tried that. I should
have explained a bit more above... when I was "forcing" the driver... I
was attempting to force the correct driver downloaded from the Canon
website.

I've downloaded, installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the "official
driver package" around 10 times with no change in the results.

As soon as the printer is plugged into the any usb port (I've tried
them all) the message pops up "USB Device Not Recognized".

When I check the USB devices in device manager I can see the "uknown
device"... but I'm unable to force install any other drivers as Vista
then says "the best driver for unknown device is already installed".

Is there a way to delete this "general, unknown device driver" that
Vista seems intent on using?

... as a small update I've used the "factory restore" on the laptop to
see if that will help. I know it's a software/vista/driver setting
issue on this laptop as again, I've tired the same printer and usb cable
on my own personal laptop that runs Vista and my laptop IDs the printer
perfectly.

--
teknomedic
Old February 28th 09, 09:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rojo Habe[_3_]

Try installing the printer driver before plugging the printer in. As part
of the install process it tells you when to plug it in so it can start
looking for it.

Old February 28th 09, 09:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
teknomedic

Well.... even a "factory restore" (inlcuded an HDD format) didn't get
this working. After windows loaded up and I did all the Windows
Update... updates, I tried the printer again and again... it's the ol'
"USB device not recognized".

Strange.... I also find it interesting that I can simply plug this
printer into my Vista laptop and it's installed just fine.

Could there be an issue with the intel chipset and a canon printer???
OR, would any changes between Home Prem vs Ultimate make this an issue?

I'm tempted to take my personal Vista install CD and put that on his
laptop just to see if it works or not.

I just might suggest he buy another printer... lol.... to bad I already
did the system restore though.

--
teknomedic
Old February 28th 09, 10:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
kword88

maybe a USB driver update? or a BIOS update? maybe try deleting the USB
ports and hub from device manager and let windows reinstall. to install
my printer correctly, i have to load the driver FIRST, then reboot, then
plug in the printer.

--
kword88
Old February 28th 09, 10:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
teknomedic

Tried deleting the USB devices and reinstalling them prior to doing the
factory restore and that failed. I'm doing another restore right now...
I'll try to install the drivers and then restart and then plug in the
printer in the next go around.

I did try the latest drivers available for the chipset but that didn't
help... also the BIOS on the laptop is the latest version so that's a no
go.

What I'd really like to do is remove the "general driver" vista keeps
using) JUST so I can try a forced install of the "correct" driver.... or
if I could simply do a force install over the "better driver" vista is
using... that might help.

--
teknomedic
Old February 28th 09, 11:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
teknomedic

wow... tough problem I guess.

--
teknomedic
Old March 1st 09, 12:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave T.[_2_]

teknomedic wrote:
wow... tough problem I guess.

Be patient. A lot of smart folks don't always do this on the weekend.

Not sure if I can help you (I'm not one of those smart folks). . .but
the driver for Vista 64 is different than the driver for x86. Check that
you have installed the correct driver. Did you install the same driver
in your laptop with Vista 64?

Also, if your friends laptop is older check to see that his USB ports
are type 2.

Do you have the user install manual from Canon? Have you followed the
sequence of install exactly? Some call for driver install first, some
say hardware connection first.

I googled "Vista USB device not recognised" and got a lot of hits from
forums and apparently this is a common problem. You have more homework
to do.

--
Dave T.

You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god. - Hirohito,
Emporer of Japan
Old March 1st 09, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SIW2

Hi,

The built -in drivers are in

C:\Windows\System32\Driverstore\Filerepository folder

If you had the same bit version of Vista as your friend, you could have
copied your Filerepository folder to his/her Driverstore folder.

Know anyone with 32 bit Vista that printer works on ?

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2