New Micro ATX mobo reccomendation

Old February 28th 09, 10:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wonderman[_2_]

Default New Micro ATX mobo reccomendation

I have a Sony desktop water cooled running a Pentium D 2.8 / Vista 32 Micro
ATX and
wanted to get the groups ideas on replacing the board / chip / memory with
something that will beat the current Vista score of 4.7 for the CPU. Rest
of components run at 5.9. No gaming at all I just want to be able to use my
CAD and rendering programs much faster which are now using 100% CPU.
Current PS is 385 watts. Planning to go to 64 bit with next CAD update.

Appreciate all ideas

Old March 1st 09, 06:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper[_2_]

Not sure how well your CAD program uses multiple cores (probably pretty
well), but you might look into an i7 board and CPU. Not sure when a good
mATX board will be released, but it is the best out there so far. Otherwise,
you may just look into a nice quad core Intel CPU. The Intels seem to do
better with the CAD/Video Editing/Gaming than AMD lately.

--

Dustin Harper
http://www.mstechpages.com

Old March 1st 09, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wonderman[_2_]

No. This is the last of their desktops that was sold with XP and I am
running a clean install of Vista Ultimate.

Old March 1st 09, 05:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

Then as you are doubtless aware its the combination of components that
impact on performance.
Perhaps look on Toms Hardware for comparisons
And whether upgraded software is going to be true 64bit or quad/dual core
enabled may be relevent, if not now but in the future

Old March 1st 09, 11:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wonderman[_2_]

CAD really only uses one core but to render the object will pin it at @ 100%
for up to 18 minutes straight till its done.

I used to build all my own machines but stopped about 5 years ago. My only
concern is plugging in my current HDD with the new system. I presume it
will boot up then I can go in and add chipset drivers ? Vista will find the
correct Lan drivers etc ?

I'm really looking to get the CPU speed up to a 5.9 Vista score like the
rest of the machine. Not a screamer but a very stable system is all I need.

Old March 1st 09, 11:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
teknomedic

Just keep in mind that even though Vista will say your CPU is at 5.9...
it may or may not help your program run "better". In general yes... but
don't use Vista's rating system as your only guide.

Some good places to learn about CPUs and chipsets:
'Tom's Hardwa Hardware News, Tests and Reviews'
(http://www.tomshardware.com)
'AnandTech: your source for hardware analysis and news'
(http://www.anandtech.com)
'Sharky Extreme' (http://www.sharkyextreme.com)
Also, one of the better places to purchase from: 'Newegg.com - Computer
Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!'
(http://www.newegg.com)

Not sure if you're looking to do this on on the cheap, but i7 chips and
chipset are still on the higher cost side... just as a quick reference
of general performance...

Best = Intel Core i7
Better = AMD Phenom II
Good = Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad
In general I'd avoid anything from AMD or Intel before C2D or Phenom II

--
teknomedic