Assigning a Drive letter for USB Port

Old February 27th 09, 01:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Angelo Fernandez

Default Assigning a Drive letter for USB Port

How do you assign a permanent drive letter to a USB port in Vista or XP?

--

Angelo Fernandez
Old March 1st 09, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Billy Buddusky[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 08:00:12 -0500, "Angelo Fernandez"
wrote:

How do you assign a permanent drive letter to a USB port in Vista or XP?

Same answer (Feb 28) as the last time (Feb 26) you asked the exact
same question:

You don't. You assign it to the device that's plugged into the port.

If you have more than one available port, make sure the device gets
plugged into the same port every time.
Old March 2nd 09, 01:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
teknomedic

In order to assign the device a letter, first plug it in then right
click "My Computer", goto "Manage"... then goto "Disk Management" on the
left.... select the drive you want on the right... and change the letter
to whatever you want (that's available of course).

...but as has been stated... you're NOT changing the USB port letter...
your changing the USB HDD drive letter. If you plug another USB HDD
into the same port... it will get a different letter again.

I haven't played with changing USB HDD drive letters around and trying
different ports to see how much Vista can "remember".

--
teknomedic
Old March 3rd 09, 08:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Uwe Sieber

Angelo Fernandez wrote:
How do you assign a permanent drive letter to a USB port in Vista or XP?

A 3rd party software is required to achive this.
My "USB Drive Letter Manager" can do this.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

You can easily define default drive letters for all
USB drive.
Drive letters depending on the USB port is possible
too but requires some more effort.
Take some minutes for reading the help file.

Uwe