no USB devices recognized in Vista Enterprise

Old January 11th 07, 05:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mark Gaskins

Default no USB devices recognized in Vista Enterprise

I installed Vista Enterprise on my laptop and I am having USB problems.
Device manager shows the entire USB bus working correctly however the OS does
not recognize any USB device, camera, flash drive, etc... no indication the
OS even sees it connected. Appears as if ports are working but inaccessible...
any suggestions?

Toshiba Sat Pro 6100
512MB memory
60GB hdd
USB 1.1
wireless a/b (both working better than ever)
IR
DVD +R/+RW (jury still out on whether this is working right). Movie Maker
not working, video hardware does not support features

Old January 11th 07, 07:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ZurgDawg

Same here - just got my Volume Licensing codes today but am having some USB
and Audio troubles. Everything else is great! Guess its the pain of using
it before the full release =)

Old January 11th 07, 03:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chad Harris

Mark and Zurg--

There can be a number of reasons but just being Windows Vista RTM on back a
ways is not one of them.

1) Replug in and restart.
2) Always use ViewShow Hidden on Dev Mgr. (type devmgmt.msc in run box to
bring it up).
3) Check other USB connections on your box.
4) Make sure that you have enough RAM--sometimes having marginal RAM for the
OS with many apps running and windows open can drain RAM and USB device
won't show. 512MB despite conventional wisdom pushing people to have at
least 1GB and the masses now going for 2-4GB is ideal, but 512MB can run
Vista well if you cut many unneeded services that Vista default sets up and
boots up with.
5) Go to eventvwr.msc in run box and under applications and system scroll to
time you're trying to use device and under USB as source for error see if
you have any helpful info.

For example this KB applies to any Windows OS:

Error message that is similar to the following when you start a program that
accesses a USB 2.0 camera device: "The camera device is not correctly
recognized"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911737/en-us

I keep pretty close track of the Vista KBs out, and I haven't seen any
particular Vista USB not recognized issues and haven't seen very many
problems on the groups. Ordinarilly if anything, Vista is a bit enhanced
over XP at recognizing and being agressive at trying to get in the driver
when the driver is available.

There's this guy but I don't think it's your issue:
A USB drive may not appear in the Windows Connect Now Flash Configuration
feature of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927841/en-us

There have always been some issues after resumption from standby and usb
recognition since Win 0X and Win 2K with zip drives, but that's not your
issue, and in XP prior to SP2.

As to any DVD device or burning software not working, make sure that you
check for the filter values mentioned in the first part of this KB:

CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install
Windows XP or Windows Vista Beta 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/en-us

See if any of these I didn't mention help:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...19&range=1-162

Good luck,

CH