4 Go RAM won't work with motherboard Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv9000 (GA075UA#ABC)

Old March 3rd 09, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Luc Martinet[_2_]

Default 4 Go RAM won't work with motherboard Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv9000 (GA075UA#ABC)

Thank you. But, I didn't find much about the correct voltage for 4GB RAM.
I have read on the net that the BIOS can now accept 4GB, but still nothing
about the voltage. Maybe should I flash the BIOS with the latest version in
hope that it recognize the new RAM. The last time I runned Vista 64 on my
machine, the OS showed 4GB of memory. So, I guess it's not totally
mismatched.

"Q" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

"Luc Martinet" wrote
Ok. I was wondering because I used them for the last year and my
computer worked well, except that I could not run Vista 64 installation
disc. It says on
www.crucial.com that my mother board can not accept
more that 2 Go in total. So my two 2 Go sticks are good for the garbage.
Thank you Best Buy Geek Squad...

Real thanks to you all that helped me. If anyone sees an other solution
to my problem, feel free...

"Peter Foldes" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
No. Mismatched means that they are not the same. The size makes no
difference but they all need to be the exact same. You cannot mix 2 by X
with 2 by Y

--
Peter

"Luc Martinet" wrote in message
I see... Any way to cheat with it? Overclocking, etc.?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" a écrit dans le
message de groupe de discussion :
Your RAM is mis-matched. You need to install the correct RAM.
Visit
www.crucial.com and run the RAM configurator.

"Luc Martinet" wrote in message
Hi,

I changed my 2 Go RAM for 4 Go RAM to boost Vista and to run Vista 64
bits.
The OS woks well, but when I want to reinstall it by booting the
system with
the DVD, I get a blue screen with the 4 Go RAM, due to a lack of
voltage.

This is what Evrest gives me with the 2 Go Ram :

Mother Board:
Type de processeur Mobile DualCore AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50, 1600
MHz (8
x 200)
Name of mother board : Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv9000
(GA075UA#ABC)
Mother board Chipset : nVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, AMD Hammer
Mémoire système [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM1: Samsung M4 70T6554EZ3-CE6 512 Mo DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM
(5-5-5-15 @
333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
Type de BIOS Phoenix (08/01/08)

And this is with the 4 Go :

Carte mè
Type de processeur Mobile DualCore AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50, 1600
MHz (8
x 200)
Name of mother board : Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv9000
(GA075UA#ABC)
Chipset de la carte mère nVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, AMD Hammer
Mémoire système [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM1: Avant Tech. 2 Go DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)
(4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM2: Avant Tech. [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Type de BIOS Phoenix (08/01/08)

This was taken under Windows 7 and I don't have the name of the new 2
Go RAM
sticks, but I think it might be Corsair. There is no name written on
it but
there is a sticker with this information on it :

2GB-DDR2 PC5300 NB
122100040908WL

I use them since last spring, but only noticed today that they produce
more
heat the the original RAM.

Could someone help me to find out how to configure the voltage for
this?

Thank you,

Check this from HP site

Maintenance and Service
Guide
HP Pavilion dv9000 and dv9200
Notebook PC
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01311536.pdf

Old March 3rd 09, 09:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Luc Martinet[_2_]

I can install Vista 64. It's what I used to have on my machine. The
problem is that I can not run the install DVD because my computer crashes.
What makes it crash is that I increased the RAM.

Yes, I have two stick of 2GB each. The original RAM is two sticks of 1GB
each. I had to put it back to run Vista's installation DVD.

The reason why I added to 2GB is to use the maximum of Vista 64.

I have a Mobile DualCore AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50, 1600 MHz, so yes, it can
run Vista 64.

"Gary M" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
If you can't install Vista 64 then you probably don't have a 64 bit CPU.
Your problem is not the amount of ram that you have. You can install Vista
64 bit on a machine with a lot less than 4GB of ram. For example I can
install it on my machine with only 2GB of ram (I have 6 GB or ram but can
run Windows 64bit with only one of my ram sticks installed).

Or am I reading your message wrong and you have two Go sticks of ram that
don't add up to enough ram capacity to allow the 64 bit Vista to install,
as I think the minimum is 512 MB to install Vista or something like that?

As for mismatched, that would only apply if you want to enable dual
channel or triple channel if your motherboard supports it.

news

Old March 3rd 09, 10:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Curious[_5_]

What application(s) are you running that you think will run better with 4GB
on vista 4GB then with 2GB.
I have no problem running any applications on my 1GB HP laptop running Vista
HP 32 bit and I don't think upgrading it to 2GB would help at all.
Added memory does not improve performance unless it is needed. If you have
a family of 4 buying an 8 passenger minivan does not help you at all it just
costs more to operate with its 4 empty seats.

Old March 3rd 09, 10:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Gene E. Bloch

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 12:29:55 -0800, Curious wrote:

I think the OP meant to say GB and not Go and for some reason did not
correct this in his later responses.

The OP is French, or at least a Francophone. In French, Go means
"giga-octet". "Octet" is French for (8-bit) byte.

"David B." wrote in message
What is Go RAM?? You cannot overclock an HP, they purposely don't provide
the required BIOS settings.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Old March 3rd 09, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Luc Martinet[_2_]

Well, I noticed an appreciable increase of the speed of my computer. First,
it was not taking anymore 10 seconds to switch from IE to WMP or to other
programs.

What made me decide to increase the RAM was when I downloaded a Gadget
monitoring the RAM and CPU. The RAM gauge was always at max... The
computer was struggling all the time. I like to browse the net while
listening to some music and downloading a movie at the same time.

"Curious" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
[...]

news Ok. I was wondering because I used them for the last year and my

Old March 3rd 09, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Thomas Wendell[_2_]

"Luc Martinet" kirjoitti
[...]

I've read on these newsgroups that Vista has problems installing if RAM
2GiB.
You can install Vista with only 2GiB installed, then add/change to 4or more
GiB. That should work...

(GiB = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibit ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix )

--
Thomas Wendell
Helsinki, Finland

Old March 3rd 09, 10:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Luc Martinet[_2_]

Thank you for that answer. That's what I will probably have to do every
time in the future when i will want to format and reinstall Vista 64.

"Thomas Wendell" a écrit dans le message de
groupe de discussion : ...

"Luc Martinet" kirjoitti

Old March 4th 09, 03:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Peter Foldes[_2_]

What you can try and could possibly work is to put the two 2gig in slot 1 and 3 and
the 1gigs in slots 2 and 4

--
[...]

groupe de discussion :

Old March 4th 09, 12:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
RalfG[_3_]

I had no problems running Vista with 1GB RAM either but with 2GB Vista runs
just a bit quicker and memory intensive apps rely less on disk caching.

Old March 4th 09, 01:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
RalfG[_3_]

The main thing you can get from that PDF, as from the specifications for
that computer, is that putting in more than 2GB is not supported. Whatever
the web may say about generic versions of that motherboard is irrelevant.
From HP's Memory Finder tool for that model:

Here are your memory upgrade options
Manufacturer HP - Compaq
Model Pavilion dv9000 Series
Maximum Memory 2048MB
Standard Memory 512 or 1024MB removable
Number of Slots 2 (2 banks of 1)

That it runs at all with 4GB installed is a lucky bonus but you have to keep
in mind that the computer has a limited capacity power supply. The extra RAM
puts more strain on the PS and increases the heat generated in the computer,
both of which can shorten the computer's lifespan. It could also cause the
computer to crash during some power intensive operations, like 3D games or
viewing HD videos.

As far as changing RAM voltages there is probably no way for you to do it.
Even if it was possible to do so on a generic version of that motherboard HP
has a tendency to limit the BIOS options that are made available to you.
Almost any BIOS setting that a non-expert user could change that would make
the computer unusable or even damage it has been preset, locked and made
inaccessible.