Windows Fax and Scan and Outlook contacts

Old March 23rd 09, 08:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_]

Default Windows Fax and Scan and Outlook contacts

I'm not running 64 bit, but I've seen no reports of its not being able to
run WFS and connect to Outlook. You appear to have a problem at the OS
level. Windows Mail must be set for none of its defaults and Outlook for all
of its. Normally , simply installing Outlook will accomplish that.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 14:47:19 -0400, Drew Edmundson
wrote:

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 07:15:24 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

Start at the beginning then. Why can't you connect to your fax server?
You seem to have a host of problems here and provide no steps for anyone
repro.

I will try to do as you suggest. I installed Windows Vista 64 bit to
the laptop. Connected to our SBS 2003 server and downloaded all the
Windows updates. Installed MS Office 2007. Added my Exchange account
to Outlook 2007. Now when I try to select contacts from within WFS I
get the Windows Mail contacts not the Outlook contacts.

As a side note, it is impossible to click on the Windows icon in the
task bar and then right click on "Default Programs" and select run as
Administrator. My problem with setting the defaults was I did not
understand that some have to be set via "set program access and
computer defaults" instead of via "set your default programs."

Are you running Vista 64 bit? Is anyone running Vista 64 bit and
getting Outlook contacts in WFS?

TIA,

Drew

Old March 24th 09, 01:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Drew Edmundson

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:38:53 -0400, "Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

I'm not running 64 bit, but I've seen no reports of its not being able to
run WFS and connect to Outlook. You appear to have a problem at the OS
level. Windows Mail must be set for none of its defaults and Outlook for all
of its. Normally , simply installing Outlook will accomplish that.

Windows Mail now has only SNEWS protocol of its defaults and
Outlook has all its defaults. Still no joy. SNEWS protocol
cannot be changed. Before you say this is the problem,
please see if you can change the SNEWS protocol.

From my Google searches all the posts that have specified 32
bit vs. 64 bit that have this problem have all said they
were using Vista 64 bit. On the other hand, how often does
one see someone specify Vista 32 bit? Not often, so my
anecdotal evidence may be wrong.

Drew
Old March 24th 09, 10:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_]

Don't forget that in Vista all of the messaging components that were in
Outlook Express are now separate in Windows Mail. So you need to be looking
at the Contacts component ("Windows Contacts") not the transports component.
Make sure Windows Contacts is not set for any of the defaults that Outlook
can handle.
I have no doubt that this may very well be a 64 bit problem. It's just not
one I've seen documented or reproduced. Usually this problem arises if the
Outlook profile is corrupt or not properly configured for its address book
service. Configuring an Outlook profile most definitely requires a 32 bit
app. Enable 32 bit apps and configure a new Outlook profile from scratch.
Make sure the Outlook Address Book Service is installed and working
correctly in this profile.
--
[MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

I'm not running 64 bit, but I've seen no reports of its not being able to
run WFS and connect to Outlook. You appear to have a problem at the OS
level. Windows Mail must be set for none of its defaults and Outlook for
all
of its. Normally , simply installing Outlook will accomplish that.

Windows Mail now has only SNEWS protocol of its defaults and
Outlook has all its defaults. Still no joy. SNEWS protocol
cannot be changed. Before you say this is the problem,
please see if you can change the SNEWS protocol.

From my Google searches all the posts that have specified 32

Old March 26th 09, 01:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Drew Edmundson

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:19:00 -0400, "Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Don't forget that in Vista all of the messaging components that were in
Outlook Express are now separate in Windows Mail. So you need to be looking
at the Contacts component ("Windows Contacts") not the transports component.
Make sure Windows Contacts is not set for any of the defaults that Outlook
can handle.

Other than the one protocol, I changed all to Outlook.
Rebooted and the problem still exists. I can't change the
one protocol.

I have no doubt that this may very well be a 64 bit problem. It's just not
one I've seen documented or reproduced. Usually this problem arises if the
Outlook profile is corrupt or not properly configured for its address book
service. Configuring an Outlook profile most definitely requires a 32 bit
app. Enable 32 bit apps and configure a new Outlook profile from scratch.
Make sure the Outlook Address Book Service is installed and working
correctly in this profile.

Outlook is able to fully access the address books I have. We
have one address book shared via a public folder on the SBS
2003 server and I have a personal address book. I can access
both completely from within Outlook.

I had already tried that but I tried it again. No luck.

Thanks for your help. I guess there is nothing else to try.

Drew

Old March 26th 09, 06:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Drew Edmundson

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 05:37:13 -0400, "Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Outlook hasn't used a PAB for over a decade. You aren't really using a PAB,
are you?

No, I apologize. I meant I have two separate contact lists -
1 is in the shared public folder and the other is a contact
list of friends and family. Outlook still calls them
"address books" when I hover over the "book icon" and in the
"search address books" input box so that is what I called
them.

Drew
Old March 26th 09, 08:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_]

Well I'll keep looking for exact steps to reproduce the issue and if I can
find them I'll forward them to the developers. Were you ever able to get WFS
to use your Outlook Contacts on 64 bit Vista?

Old March 27th 09, 01:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Drew Edmundson

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:27:18 -0400, "Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Well I'll keep looking for exact steps to reproduce the issue and if I can
find them I'll forward them to the developers. Were you ever able to get WFS
to use your Outlook Contacts on 64 bit Vista?

No, but Vista 32 WFS worked perfectly with the Outlook
contacts when I had it installed on the same laptop. When I
installed Vista 64 it was a fresh install onto an erased
hard drive (same one the Vista 32 was on, just erased) and
the Outlook data came over from the Exchange server not from
an old PST file.

If it helps, I have Bitlocker turned on but that didn't seem
to effect WFS under Vista 32.

Drew
Old March 27th 09, 06:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
SjanUK

I got an answer to this problem here 'MS Fax & Scan'
(http://vista.maranciuc.com/index.php...12.msg18#msg18) after
searching all over the place for an answer.

--
SjanUK
Old March 27th 09, 06:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
SjanUK[_2_]

I am running Vista 64 bit and was getting Outlook contacts in WFS?

I got an answer to this problem here
'http://vista.maranciuc.com/index.php?topic=12.msg18#msg18'