Windows Fax and Scan and Outlook contacts

Old March 17th 10, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine[_2_]

Default Windows Fax and Scan and Outlook contacts

Since you still haven't quoted the thread so we know what the actual problem
is, I'm not going to spend any time on this.
--
Russ Valentine
"killerb255" wrote in message

Positive.

I've also confirmed that this problem even predates Vista and Outlook
2007.

I just installed a Windows XP x64 VM and Outlook 2003. I tried to use
XP x64's fax client to our SBS 2008 Fax server. I can't pull up Outlook
Address Book contacts in XP x64 either.

So, to review:

XP x86 and Outlook 2003, 2007 = works.
XP x64 and Outlook 2003 = no dice (haven't tried 2007 in XP x64 yet, but
I don't think that'll tell us anything relevant).
Vista x86 and Outlook 2003, 2007 = works.
Vista x64 and Outlook 2003, 2007 = no.
Windows 7 x86 and Outlook 2007 = works.
Windows 7 x64 and Outlook 2007 = no.
Windows 7 x64 and Outlook 2010 x64 = no.

The bottom line is that there is a problem with the Outlook Address Book
communicating with the x64 fax client in NT5 AND Windows Fax & Scan in
NT6!!! Since Outlook 2010 has this problem as well, I think it's more
of a problem with Outlook in general than processor architecture.

--
killerb255

Old May 12th 10, 04:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
killerb255[_2_]

I apologize...I posted my reply to the original thread in another forum,
which, of course, is crossposted all over the place.

The best way to describe the problem is he

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...-contacts.aspx

....and he

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...1-487e0c4405be

.

Old May 12th 10, 08:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine[_2_]

Ah. I see.
Yes. I can confirm that the problem will never be fixed. Outlook stopped
supporting integration with the fax module after Outlook 2003.

Old May 18th 10, 07:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
killerb255[_2_]

If that's the official word, then it looks like we will probably have to
nudge our clients toward using Fax Mail Transport within Outlook itself if
they want Outlook Address Book integration in x64 (and not use Outlook 2010
x64, as it doesn't have Fax Mail Transport yet).

So, in a nutshell, the following fax options are available on the following
operating systems:

Legend:
1: Native NT5 fax client with Windows Address Book
2: Native NT5 fax client with Outlook 2003, 2007, x86 2010 Address Book (if
Outlook is installed)
3: Windows Fax and Scan with Windows Contacts
4: Windows Fax and Scan with Outlook 2003, 2007, x86 2010 Address Book (if
Outlook is installed)
5: Fax Mail Transport (Outlook 2003, 2007, x86 2010)

Operating Systems: Fax Options Available

Windows XP Home, Professional, Media Center, Tablet PC x86: Options 1, 2,
and 5 above
Windows XP x64: Options 1 and 5
Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium x86 and x64: Option 5 only
Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, Ultimate x86: Options 3, 4, and 5
Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, Ultimate x64: Options 3 and 5
Windows 7 Starter and Home Premium x86 and x64: Option 5 only
Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate x86: Options 3, 4, and 5
Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate x64: Options 3 and 5

Is that about right?

Old May 18th 10, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine[_2_]

Looks right to me. As a rule, the Fax Module will use whatever address book
service the user has selected as the default for the operating system.
Microsoft stopped any development of fax integration with Outlook 2003 and
no longer support it. Users still have the ability to add the Fax Mail
Transport on their own to Outlook if they want. It was easier to leave the
code that permits doing so than to remove it from versions after 2003.