Windows Fax and Scan and Outlook contacts

Old March 7th 09, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Drew Edmundson

Default Windows Fax and Scan and Outlook contacts

I can't get Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) to use the contacts from
Outlook 2007. Running Vista Ultimate 64 on an SBS 2003 network. Using
the server's shared fax. This worked when I had Vista Ultimate 32
installed.

Unsuccesful steps I have tried.

I have run a repair install of Office. I have deleted my old profile
and created a new one. Please note that since I am running on SBS 2003
premium I use Exchange 2003 so I don't lose my contacts, e-mails, etc.
when I delete the profile. I have rebooted. I have deleted the fax
account and added it back.

When I click on the address book icon my contacts appear and those
with fax numbers are listed.

What I get for contacts are the one created by Windows Mail for me. I
have never used Windows Mail on this PC.

TIA for your assistance.

Drew
Old March 7th 09, 07:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_]

At the OS level: Make sure you set Outlook for all its capabilities and
Windows Mail for none of its. Reboot.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old March 7th 09, 08:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_]

Also, could you check and make sure your WFS client is able to connect to
and send through your server's fax printer?

Old March 7th 09, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Drew Edmundson

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 15:14:54 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

At the OS level: Make sure you set Outlook for all its capabilities and
Windows Mail for none of its. Reboot.

Thank you for the assistance. Outlook has all its defaults. Windows
Mail only has .eml. Unfortunately it is grayed out and I am unable to
change it.

Drew
Old March 8th 09, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_]

Why can't you change it? You must. Otherwise, you may have identified your
problem. You are not running with sufficient privileges.
Spell out the details here, please.

Old March 8th 09, 01:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Drew Edmundson

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 20:06:37 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

Why can't you change it? You must. Otherwise, you may have identified your
problem. You are not running with sufficient privileges.
Spell out the details here, please.

I am running as an Administrator. There does not appear to be a way to
select "run as adminstrator" when changing default programs. When I
click on the .eml protocol nothing happens. The same thing happens
when I try to uncheck the box with the space bar.

If it is any help, Windows Contacts has 4 of 5 defaults. I cannot
uncheck them - .contact, .group, .p7c, and LDAP.

I have taken my laptop home and am unable to send a fax via the server
at this time.

Drew
Old March 8th 09, 02:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Drew Edmundson

wrote:

Why can't you change it? You must. Otherwise, you may have identified your
problem. You are not running with sufficient privileges.
Spell out the details here, please.

I am running as an Administrator. There does not appear to be a way to
select "run as adminstrator" when changing default programs. When I
click on the .eml protocol nothing happens. The same thing happens
when I try to uncheck the box with the space bar.

If it is any help, Windows Contacts has 4 of 5 defaults. I cannot
uncheck them - .contact, .group, .p7c, and LDAP.

I have taken my laptop home and am unable to send a fax via the server
at this time.

I was able to remove the last protocl from Windows Mail by using
"associate a file type or protocol with a program" then i rebooted.
Still don't get the outlook contacts when i open WFS.

Drew
Old March 8th 09, 10:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_]

Start at the beginning then. Why can't you connect to your fax server?
You seem to have a host of problems here and provide no steps for anyone to
repro.

Old March 9th 09, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Drew Edmundson

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 07:15:24 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

Start at the beginning then. Why can't you connect to your fax server?
You seem to have a host of problems here and provide no steps for anyone to
repro.

I don't have a host of problems. When I open up WFS and click on the
"To:" button the Windows Mail list of contacts opens. Only I am listed
as a contact in the Windows Mail contacts. I use Outlook 2007 for all
my e-mail and Forte Agent for my newsgroups. I thought that Outlook
contacts would be the default for WFS as it was on my old Vista 32
bit.

I can connect to the fax server and can send faxes via Outlook but
that is not the way I want to fax.

The "problem" with setting the defaults was that I didn't realize that
some defaults have to be set via "associate a file type or protocol
with a program" instead of the "set your default programs" link.

Drew
Old March 10th 09, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Drew Edmundson

wrote:

Start at the beginning then. Why can't you connect to your fax server?
You seem to have a host of problems here and provide no steps for anyone to
repro.

I will try to do as you suggest. I installed Windows Vista 64 bit to
the laptop. Connected to our SBS 2003 server and downloaded all the
Windows updates. Installed MS Office 2007. Added my Exchange account
to Outlook 2007. Now when I try to select contacts from within WFS I
get the Windows Mail contacts not the Outlook contacts.

As a side note, it is impossible to click on the Windows icon in the
task bar and then right click on "Default Programs" and select run as
Administrator. My problem with setting the defaults was I did not
understand that some have to be set via "set program access and
computer defaults" instead of via "set your default programs."

Are you running Vista 64 bit? Is anyone running Vista 64 bit and
getting Outlook contacts in WFS?

TIA,

Drew