IDE drive not recognized.

Old March 14th 09, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dbacs

Default IDE drive not recognized.

I have an Ultra ATA 100 drive that will not install in BIOS or Vista 32
ultimate OS. I have support on my motherboard for 66/100/133 pata (as
well as sata II). I have all updated drivers for the motherboard. I'm
using VIA's Hyperion Pro drivers.

I think my problem is setting jumpers in the drive. I've tried the
drive on both primary master and slave, and secondary primary and slave
buses. I've also tried the drive in combinations of 2 HDD and 1 HDD, 1
dvd rom. I've set the jumper to cable select, master, and no jumper
with no results.

However, the drive works in an AMD box running XP 32. The HDD it is
not working in is Vista 32 sp1 ultimate.

As it is now i have the HDD on the same secondary bus as my dvd rom.
The HDD is set to master, and not showing up anywhere.

The drive is a Maxtor 40gb.

Thanks for any help.

--
dbacs
Old March 14th 09, 12:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP

"dbacs" wrote in message

[...]

Try a different IDE cable..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Old March 14th 09, 01:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dbacs

I will try another cable, but why would that work. Both bus cables work
fine because i have had 2 hdd's on primary and 1 dvd rom on secondary,
running fine for 3 years now. Plus i've already tried the 100 HDD on
both cables and buses...

I hope it is the cable though.

--
dbacs
Old March 14th 09, 11:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

If its not seen in the bios, either there is a cable problem, or there is a
bios setting to enable the ide controler its using.
Check your mobo manual

Old March 14th 09, 03:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pupick

A sad fact: many modern motherboards that assume the user will employ SATA
drives will provide one legacy IDE connector which, sadly, may not be
functional.
If you have tried two cables and two devices and the motherboards will not
recognize any IDE device that is likely your problem. The IDE controller
should be on by default. The BIOS will usually only give you a choice about
turning on the external SATA port, not the IDE port specifically.
You can see if installing the latest BIOS solves your problem but I would
not count on it.
If the motherboard is still under warranty request an RMA. That will take
forever, if the replacement ever comes through, and it will be a refurbished
motherboard.
If you must use that IDE hard drive the least expensive option is to
configure it as an external USB drive with the enclosure of your choice.
You do not give the brand/model number: ASUS?

Old March 14th 09, 04:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

OP,
Since pupick did not include the content of your post within his I do not
know the details of your problem.
What settings have you tried on the IDE drives, cable select, master, slave
etc.?
Do you have any indication of power going to the drive(s) when you boot?

Old March 14th 09, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dbacs

Thanks for the advice. It makes sense that the motherboard isn't
supporting the ata 100, even though it says it does, because all other
devices are ata 133 or sata II.

I've got all latest motherboard drivers installed, and latests BIOS
too. The board is an EST p4900m-t, with an american megatrends BIOS.
Its a cheapy build, with decent parts besides the motherboard.

I was trying to make a RAID 5 setup with 2 SATA and 2 IDE, but that
doesn't look like its goign to happen.

I just ordered a few hours ago some IDE to SATA adapters. This is the
last hope for the RAID 5 with all 4 drives.

Its going to get tricky though because i have to move my current RAID
0, OS drive, over to the RAID 5 card, and i am unable to clone my RAID 0
to an external USB drive i have, nor to the other IDE drives.

--
dbacs
Old March 14th 09, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dbacs

"pupick" fac_187@xxxxxx wrote in message
[...]

Just read the rest of the thread and you'll find all details... :sarc:

--
dbacs
Old March 14th 09, 06:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

I don't have the rest of the thread since as I stated above pupick did not
seem fit to include it and I had apparently previously deleted it to
conserve on disk space.

Old March 14th 09, 07:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dbacs

I don't understand, you can't view the entire thread on the vista forum
itself? No problem anyways, here's what i've tried:

Set jumpers to master, slave, cable select, and no jumpers.
Put HDD on both bus cables, primary and secondary.
Put HDD on both cables and tried all jumper settings.
Updated BIOS
Updated motherboard drivers
Updated Vista
Will not show in BIOS or vista 32
HDD does show in XP 32 though in different computer
HDD is Ultra ATA 100, everything else is Ultra ATA 133 or SATA II.

Thanks.

--
dbacs