IDE Drive in Enclosure

Old March 23rd 09, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Default IDE Drive in Enclosure

My Maxtor power light comes on. The drive begins to work. Then all files on
the drive are corrupted within seconds - unless I use the external supply.
This happens every time!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Brent Rogers" wrote in message
I tried plugging it into my laptop at work. It mounts fine.

As for power - it does get power, the power light comes on and the disk
makes sound.

However my work machine is WIN-XP and is a newer model. My home laptop is
VISTA and about 4 years old. I also noticed that the Enclosure has a USB
2.0 interface. Could this be my problem?

"Richard Urban" wrote:

I also missed that you are trying to use your old laptop drive in an
enclosure.

I think that your USB ports are not supplying enough power. Is there an
external power supply available for your enclosure? If so, try it out. I
have has dismal luck with the external drives that use only USB power for
operation. I have 3 of them that are pretty much useless (my opinion).
They
"may" work with some computers - then they don't work with others. In my
opinion they are a crap shoot.

I have a nice Maxtor external drive that refuses to work with any
computer I
presently own without their external supply - which is not carried by any
store that I have seen to sell these drives. I had to order it direct
from
Maxtor. Real convenient!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Brent Rogers" wrote in message
The is nothing about setting the Drive to be master/slave.

They just say to plug the drive into the enclosure, then to connect via
the
USB cable.

The USB cable is provides the power. I cannot see where to set the
jumpers;
except that there are two pins that do not connect to the enclosure.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

The instructions for the external enclosure will tell you how to set
up
the
drive prior to installing it in the enclosure. Did you do so? Some
drives
have to be set up as a master, some as cable select.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Brent Rogers" wrote in
message

I just replaced my 80GB drive in my laptop with a 160GB Drive.
Most
of
the
software I am re-installing from the installation media. However I
still
want access to my files and other s/w [setup.exe, *.msi,
installation
keys,
etc] on my old drive. As such I purchased an IDE HDD USB enlcosure
for
my
old drive. However when I plug it in the drive just makes a
regular
light
buzzing sound.

Any Ideas on what I can do to be able to access my old Drive?

signature database 3953 (20090321) __________

http://www.eset.com

signature database 3954 (20090323) __________

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3954 (20090323) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 23rd 09, 02:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Brent Rogers wrote:

I tried plugging it into my laptop at work. It mounts fine.

As for power - it does get power, the power light comes on and the disk
makes sound.

However my work machine is WIN-XP and is a newer model. My home laptop is
VISTA and about 4 years old. I also noticed that the Enclosure has a USB
2.0 interface. Could this be my problem?

So you upgraded to Vista on the laptop? You can check in Device Manager to
see if you have USB 2.0 ports (they would show as "enhanced") but I think
you probably do. If you don't, that could definitely be the issue.

Frankly, since the enclosure works on your office laptop I'd just pull off
the data you want from there and burn to CD/DVD to transfer to the home
computer. Maybe that enclosure is never going to work well with the home
laptop so you might as well stop messing about with it and get the job done
a different way.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old March 24th 09, 08:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
THE C. [MS MVP]

Not very good adivce for the OP Malke! Just about all usb 2.5 enclosures come
with a usb power cord in additon to the USB data cable. This depends on the
drive being 4200RPM or 5400RPM which in my experience the power cord is
required for all 7200RPM drives and some 5400RPM drives power issues with
USB devices.
--
Computer/Software Expert

Charles Richmond
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Old March 24th 09, 10:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

THE C. [MS MVP] wrote:

Not very good adivce for the OP Malke! Just about all usb 2.5 enclosures
come with a usb power cord in additon to the USB data cable. This depends
on the drive being 4200RPM or 5400RPM which in my experience the power
cord is required for all 7200RPM drives and some 5400RPM drives power
issues with USB devices.

On the contrary, you are wrong. Many external enclosures for laptops don't
come with a power cord. Sometimes they come with two USB cables instead.
And the fact that a (possibly cheap) enclosure simply will not work with a
particular computer is not uncommon.

Please post a link to your MVP profile.

Malke

Old March 24th 09, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
THE C. [MS MVP]

I own 7 of these USB enclosures with Notebook drives in them. Take a very
close look at your "I am wrong" statement at newegg.com. 9 out 10 enclosure
come with a seperate USB for power and data USB cables. You are wrong Malke.
I will not disrespect anyone, unless they try to do it to me. Please its
really a waste of time to worry so much about me. MVP's such as yourself have
given very bad advice yourselves is like "calling the kettle black". Also I
work with a team of pro's. and for one person to claim to know "everything"
is quite a lie. I have work for MS privacy and disclosure unit for over 20
years. My life doesn't rely just in this NG for it is full of junk and
answers from everyone including YOU and everyone else. If it makes you feel
better to say other wise, then so be it. If I help 1, 2 or even 3 people, it
to me is a free job done well. Know one here knows anyone here personally...
so what? Please make it a great day.

Old March 24th 09, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

Aren’t the two of you saying the same thing since I don't understand the
difference of "coming with 2 USB cables" and " coming with separate USB for
power and USB data cables"
Also I am confused by C's statement that he is a MS-MVP but does not explain
why he is not listed in the list of currently active MVPs. He implies that
he works the "MS privacy and disclosure unit" and that therefore he is a
currently unlisted active MVP. However, MVPs by definition do not work for
MS.. I think he owes us a clearer understanding of his exact status.

Old March 25th 09, 12:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Torello

"Curious" wrote:

Also I am confused by C's statement that he is a MS-MVP but does not explain
why he is not listed in the list of currently active MVPs. He implies that
he works the "MS privacy and disclosure unit" and that therefore he is a
currently unlisted active MVP. However, MVPs by definition do not work for
MS.. I think he owes us a clearer understanding of his exact status.

He is a liar. I've had that person kill-filed for ages - long before
the claim of being an MVP.
Old March 25th 09, 01:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

Do you have proof that he is a liar? I have been trying to give him the
benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to prove/justify his status and
have thought that he might have previously been a active MS-MVP.
The only information I have been able to find about him is that he may work
for Sun Microsystems and not for MS. However, based on his recommendations I
certainly do not consider him a software expert since they do not appear to
come from someone who has a masters or doctorate degree in computer software
which I feel would be the minimum education to be a "expert"

Old March 25th 09, 02:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Just because this cowboy places a link to the MVP web page beneath his name
does ***NOT*** mean he is, in fact, an MVP.

All indications are that HE IS NOT

Until he posts a link to his official MVP profile do not believe his SELF
ENDORSEMENT

--

signature database 3956 (20090323) __________

http://www.eset.com