IDE Drive in Enclosure

Old March 22nd 09, 05:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Brent Rogers

Default IDE Drive in Enclosure

I just replaced my 80GB drive in my laptop with a 160GB Drive. Most of the
software I am re-installing from the installation media. However I still
want access to my files and other s/w [setup.exe, *.msi, installation keys,
etc] on my old drive. As such I purchased an IDE HDD USB enlcosure for my
old drive. However when I plug it in the drive just makes a regular light
buzzing sound.

Any Ideas on what I can do to be able to access my old Drive?
Old March 22nd 09, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

Your drive is set as master?
And try re setting all the connectors in your enclosure

Old March 22nd 09, 05:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Brent Rogers

Where are the jumpers that unset the old drive as the master?

Note: The new drive is functioning normally.

I have another old Laptop drive -- in another enclosure -- that I can access.
I have also tried this enclosure, with the same results. I get the regular
light buzz -- every 2-3 seconds or so -- as if the arm inside the drive is
moving back and forth.

Old March 22nd 09, 09:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Brent Rogers[_2_]

More Info:

Could the problem be that my old drive is an NTFS volume, and that for
access via the USB HDD enclosure that the drive needs to be FAT32.

If so, how do I convert the NTFS volume to FAT32 without destroying the
contents?
Old March 23rd 09, 02:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

The instructions for the external enclosure will tell you how to set up the
drive prior to installing it in the enclosure. Did you do so? Some drives
have to be set up as a master, some as cable select.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

signature database 3953 (20090321) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3953 (20090321) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 23rd 09, 10:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Brent Rogers wrote:

More Info:

Could the problem be that my old drive is an NTFS volume, and that for
access via the USB HDD enclosure that the drive needs to be FAT32.

If so, how do I convert the NTFS volume to FAT32 without destroying the
contents?

No, this could not be the problem. You probably have the jumper set
incorrectly on the enclosure as has already been pointed out.

Another reason for the problem could be if the external enclosure doesn't
have its own power supply.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old March 23rd 09, 11:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Brent Rogers

The is nothing about setting the Drive to be master/slave.

They just say to plug the drive into the enclosure, then to connect via the
USB cable.

The USB cable is provides the power. I cannot see where to set the jumpers;
except that there are two pins that do not connect to the enclosure.

Old March 23rd 09, 11:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Brent Rogers wrote:

The is nothing about setting the Drive to be master/slave.

They just say to plug the drive into the enclosure, then to connect via
the USB cable.

The USB cable is provides the power. I cannot see where to set the
jumpers; except that there are two pins that do not connect to the
enclosure.

This is a laptop drive, right? So the jumper settings are not the issue.
Sorry that I missed that this is a laptop drive in my first response.

Test the enclosure with the drive in it on another machine to see if it
works. Ideally you could stick a different drive in it, too. After all, the
enclosure itself may be faulty.

Malke

Old March 23rd 09, 12:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

I also missed that you are trying to use your old laptop drive in an
enclosure.

I think that your USB ports are not supplying enough power. Is there an
external power supply available for your enclosure? If so, try it out. I
have has dismal luck with the external drives that use only USB power for
operation. I have 3 of them that are pretty much useless (my opinion). They
"may" work with some computers - then they don't work with others. In my
opinion they are a crap shoot.

I have a nice Maxtor external drive that refuses to work with any computer I
presently own without their external supply - which is not carried by any
store that I have seen to sell these drives. I had to order it direct from
Maxtor. Real convenient!

--

signature database 3954 (20090323) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3954 (20090323) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 23rd 09, 12:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Brent Rogers

I tried plugging it into my laptop at work. It mounts fine.

As for power - it does get power, the power light comes on and the disk
makes sound.

However my work machine is WIN-XP and is a newer model. My home laptop is
VISTA and about 4 years old. I also noticed that the Enclosure has a USB
2.0 interface. Could this be my problem?